53

Not too long later, Mistress Zhuang invited everyone to the center of the garden to have a tour as they enjoy the flowers. At the beginning of May, the flowers in the garden flourished, displaying a grand scene. From near or far, the view was splendid, and the fragrance carried by the breeze was absolutely enchanting. With the buzzing bees and beautiful butterflies, the garden was full of life. The Zhuang family had many different flowers, each gorgeous and vibrant in color. Walking leisurely around and admiring the flowerings pleasantly, the atmosphere was great as everyone spoke with laughter and joy.

When the tour came to an end, Mistress Zhuang smiled to invite everyone back to their seat.

Earlier on, a few servants were already preparing the seats under a pagoda tree. Arranged neatly on the high table, the desserts, fruits, and tea were all of an exquisite quality. At a side, the different flowers were displayed at different heights in the blue and white porcelain vase for them to be admired.

Resting on the seats while enjoying the tea and gossiping among each other was the most pleasant thing that could be done.

Of course, having each familys Missy duel against each other in poetry was not bad too.

To start with, Mistress Zhuang brought Tang Yuzhen to her side. The crowd praised as she was introduced for they knew that Mistress Zhuang fancied her and would like to have her married as her daughter-in-law. Now, their heads to look at the Shi familys daughter this time around. Once the crowd was back to their seats, they glanced at each other with a smile.

Sure enough, after a few words, Mistress Zhuang laughed, A reputable flower without a good poetry to present it doesnt do it any justice. Forget us old ladies, the missies here should be educated enough in poetry. So why not use that knowledge to put colors into these flowers? Missies, you must not refuse oh! And sisters, what do you think?

The crowd praised the suggestion. Whose family, as a mother, wouldnt want their daughters or daughter-in-laws to try to overwhelm the others and claim that they had done the best in raising them. Losing before a fight was not an option!

Mistress Zhuang laughed again, I have yet with me another proposal. There are many reputable flowers in the garden, exhausting the missies too much isnt fun at all. So why dont, we have around ten flowers and each missy writes a poetry or two on their chosen flower? Of course, Sang Wan is but a talented woman from a literary family, so doing each flower is a must! Sang Wan, what do you think?

With that, she smiled and added, Its not that I wish to deliberately make it difficult for you, but I just want to take this opportunity to showcase your knowledge in front of everyone else, and also know the difference between a daughter from a literary family and our own!

Wang Shi listened and remained quiet as she turned her head to look at Sang Wan.

Sang Wan, however, was calm. Just making poetry was nothing difficult for her. Besides, even though the ladies present were not entirely illiterate, they had limited knowledge. So long as she could come up with them, it was enough. It did not matter it was good or bad.

Moreover, since Mistress Zhuang had already suggested it, she could not refuse or Wang Shi would become unhappy.

Sang Wan smiled slightly at Wang Shi, indicating to her to be at ease.

Wang Shi straightened herself and laughed, Since Mistress Zhuang had already said so, then it shall be accepted! But if Sang Wan doesnt do well, you all mustnt laugh! smiling, she added, Having only Sang Wan doing so many is hardly justifiable. Why dont we invite Miss Tang to do so too, what do you think?

Tang Yuzhen gently got up and bowed to the crowd before smiling subtly, If so, then Yuzhen shall gladly accept it! Smoothly, she gave a quick response.