Chapter 5: Sang Wan's Teachings

An example would be now. If it had been Gu Fangzi asking the questions, the maidservants would have definitely scrambled to answer her so as to receive praise. If that were so, Zhide would not have attempted to do so as receiving praise was not something she needed. However, the one asking the questions in the chamber wasn't Gu Fangzi, but Sang Wan, thus no one answered. Being the eldest, Zhide had no choice but to answer; and her answer was very simple. Who was Nanny Li? Where did she go? If Sang Wan did not ask directly, she had no reason to answer.

"Nanny Li?" Sang Wan asked deliberately, even though she knew who the housekeeper was. She gently gazed at Zhide, indicating for her to answer.

Again, without a choice, Zhide answered, "Nanny Li is Sir's wet nurse, and has always managed the chamber and everything else within the garden. A few days ago, her lower back and legs were sore so she went home to recuperate. Thus, I'm afraid she won't be around for the next few days."

"I see!" Sang Wan smiled and nodded, before chuckling. "Before Nanny Li left to recuperate, did she discuss with Sir who will be in charge of the garden while she is gone?"

Zhide replied, "That would be me! Maidservant Zhide will be at your service!"

"That's good. May I trouble you?" Sang Wan smiled and thought for a while, "I would like to have some rest first. When it is lunchtime, do give me a call. Also, I'd like to see all of the servants who manage

Ning Garden

after lunch. It isn't much, really, I just want to have a glimpse of their faces, that's all."

"Yes, Ma'am!" Zhide bowed, before taking a quick glance at Sang Wan. She was secretly surprised. Never had she imagined that her new Ma'am would be so generous and decent. She might not have come from a wealthy family, but she was definitely the daughter of a literary family!

"Ma'am, please have some rest. Your humble maidservant will do as instructed." As she thought for a brief moment, Zhide couldn't help but take the initiative to add an additional sentence, instructing the other maidservants to fetch some water for Sang Wan to wash her face.

The maidservants are accustomed to serving people and their actions were all systematic. One placed a large napkin on Sang Wan's lap, the other folded her sleeves, the third maidservant kneeled and placed a chiseled copper basin in front of her, and the fourth washed her hands at the side in a basin carried by the fifth maidservant. After washing her hands, the maidservant retrieved the soft clean towel soaked in warm water from the chiseled copper basin and gave it a gentle twist before handing it carefully to Sang Wan. Soap, balsam and other facial cleansers were all placed neatly beside Sang Wan for her to use...

After Sang Wan washed her face, the maidservants continued to get Sang Wan ready for bed. They removed her jewelry and hairpin before helping her change into her nightgown. With that, Sang Wan went to lay on the bed while the maidservants left the chamber. Only Liu Ya was left in the chamber with Sang Wan to answer any further requests.

The room was quiet now. On the circular window, behind the red gauze curtain that hung on the wall, was a bronze tripod incense burner. A thin curl of smoke could be seen rising from the incense burner and giving the chamber a sweet fragrance. The sapphire blue vase, decorated with jade... almost all of the furnishings within the chamber were exquisite and valuable. The wealth of the Shi household was not something the Sang family could easily attain.

With no one else inside the chamber except the two of them, the cramped feeling gradually disappeared and Liu Ya regained her curious nature. Gazing at the interior furnishings of the chamber, Liu Ya's eyes shone brightly, brightly enough to show how shocked and amazed she was.