Chapter 73: Disillusioned

At first, she had thought that even if Shi Fengju did not go to accompany Gu Fangzi at Peony Park tonight, he would at least have a meal with her before resting in the study room. Unexpectedly, when dinner time was nearing, Shi Fengju sent someone to inform Sang Wan to wait and eat together with him. Bewildered, Sang Wan's eyes were wide open, and she thought she had heard wrong.

Zhide, Liu Ya, Hong Ye, and the rest rejoiced. Nanny Li was even more glad, and she was grinning from ear to ear. "Ma'am, laonu will go and have the kitchen prepare the dishes that you and Young Master would like to have!"

Sang Wan was at a loss for words, and she could not refuse. As such, she smiled and nodded slightly.

"Ma'am, this shows that in Young Master's heart, no one is above you! Now, all that's left is to let all the servants see! Then we'll see who still dares to climb over their master's head! Please don't blame laonu for saying too much, but tonight, Ma'am should take more initiative..."

Nanny Li could not help but walk up to Sang Wan and whisper in her ear.

"I understand! Nanny!" Sang Wan smiled. But she thought to herself, No one is above me? If I'm truly so important in his heart, then Gu Fangzi wouldn't have been able to marry in at such a time!

However, Nanny Li did not know Shi Fengju himself was already extremely clear about the instructions she gave to Sang Wan. He knew that by the time Gu Fangzi married in, the servants below would surely look down on Sang Wan and secretly talk behind her back while making things difficult for her. And because of that, he would have to express his attitude—to show everyone that they should think twice before attempting to humiliate and insult the ma'am of the household!

His doing so was for the peace of his household and to prevent any internal dispute. Shi Fengju used such a reason to convince himself. As to whether his heart felt the same way, he did not wish to search deeply for an answer.

The two had dinner together and sat down to have tea in a comfortable pavilion.

Seeing Shi Fengju conversing quite a lot with her with no intentions to leave at all, she could not help but feel somewhat puzzled. Since the servants were not around, she could not hold it anymore and asked, "Sir, aren't you going to see Sister for a bit?"

"Sister?" Shi Fengju was startled for a moment, but he quickly realized whom she was referring to.

He raised his brows and pressed them slightly together. "I went to see her before dinner. Today must've tired her out, and I think she might be asleep by now, so there's no need for me to go over!"

"Oh!" Sang Wan answered plainly. So that's why ah! He sure knows how to take account of others and care for them.

Shi Fengju could not help but feel somewhat dejected as he looked at Sang Wan. He actually did not mean to say that, but the words just seemed to come out of his mouth the way they did. Although Sang Wan's expression might not have changed, she must be thinking that he was just giving her an excuse, her tone gave away such thoughts. But even so, he did not know where to start

"How come you're calling her 'sister' now?" Shi Fengju asked.

"What?" Sang Wan was startled and answered with a slight sneer, "When you weren't back, Mother told me to do so. Now that you're back, it has become an imperative!"

Shi Fengju was at a loss for words. Looking straight into Sang Wan's eyes, he felt deeply ashamed. He understood what she meant. Mother's instruction was not something she could go against, but at that time, her heart still had a glimmer of hope—and that was him. She had thought that he would honor the agreement between them and change what was already planned before when he returned!