chapter 104

Shi Fenghua then praised again with a smile, Second Brother Sang is indeed humble and truly modest. Really, this calls for admiration! Second Brother Sang, let me propose a toast to you!”
“Many thanks to Brother Fenghua!” Sang Yufei raised his cup with both hands before smiling. “Under the tutelage of a wise senior from Hanlin Academy, Brother Fenghua is knowledgeable and has an even better character! The brief conversation that we had just now was undoubtedly extraordinary. If Brother Fenghua doesn’t mind, can we find another time to better discuss again?”

“Of course! I was thinking the same as well! Second Brother Sang, you have to teach me, too!” For a moment, Shi Fenghua was elated. For all three generations, the Shi family only had him who was gifted enough to study, putting major pressure on him. Having someone, who had taken the examinations and returned with a top score, guide him would surely be beneficial for him.

Wang Shi only understood half of what they said, but what she did understand was that her son was seeking to have Sang Yufei guide him and that Sang Yufei was willing to do so. That made her overly happy, and she warmly gestured everyone to eat before inviting Sang Yufei to stay a while longer in the coming days. That night, dinner in the Shi household was very lively.

Ren Zhixian watched as people flocked to Sang Yufei, and the words he said to him just then were easily brushed away without giving them a careful thought! Hmph, what a hateful lad! To think he’d do the lad a favor by giving him some advice that ended up not being appreciated.

Feeling vexed, he coughed lightly before asking Sang Yufei, “Oh, right, would you mind revealing this year’s township examination topic to us?”
Although puzzled at why that person would ask that at the dinner table, Sang Yufei smiled and said so since Ren Zhixian already asked.

Ren Zhixian suddenly slammed the table with his palm before saying with a sigh, “I can’t believe that this year’s topic was so easy! Ai, what a pity, what a pity ah! If only I could have taken the examinations this year! What a pity! For such an easy topic, getting the top score is a breeze! It’s too easy! Oh yes, I wonder how well Brother Sang actually wrote his essay!”

Hearing that, even with his self-control, Sang Yufei turned unhappy, and the smile on face stiffened. How could he say it that way? Just when he was about to reveal his essay, Shi Fenghua smiled and replied, “Brother-in-law, we shouldn’t be discussing about this over dinner! Why don’t we find another time to let Second Brother Sang write out his essay? Brother-in-law can also write one on the topic as well, then we can hold a discussion about it.” Then, he added, “I also wish to see Brother-in-law’s great work as well!”

Shi Fengju could not help but cast his younger brother a glance. Deep down, he was amazed how his brother-in-law could be so unlikeable that his younger brother’s words became thorny even with his character.

But it was a shame that Ren Zhixian did not feel that way about Shi Fenghua’s words. Instead, those words brought him joy. He interpreted them as Shi Fenghuas seeking for his guidance, and he praised in his heart, This younger brother-in-law is way more tactful than that Sang lad! As such, he smiled and nodded before glancing over at Sang Yufei, “Brother Fenghua’s words were exactly my thoughts! It would be an honor to be able to do so!”

“Aiya, the three of you can go on with that after dinner mah! Come, come, come, let’s eat!” Second Uncle Shi pointed his chopsticks at a nearby dish. Hearing him so, everyone at the table laughed.

Ren Zhixian straightened his back before having a glimpse at Second Uncle Shi from the corner of his eyes. What an unrefined person! And you only know how to play with birds and fishes, so what do you even know!
After dinner, everyone went to the flower pavilion to chat and have tea to help with digestion. After a while, the members of Shi Second House left. Wang Shi also felt tired after a day of excitement, and so the crowd dispersed.