Chapter 7

--Chapter 7--

I felt a gentle, soft hand brushing lightly against my face and running through my hair soothingly. I had been feeling this for a good half-minute, not wanting to open my eyes and stop the relaxing feeling.

"She's so peaceful when she's sleeping." I heard the familiar, feminine voice whisper. I managed to open my eyes slowly in till I finally saw the recognizable face that I've missed for a while.

A smile spread across my lips helplessly as she smiled at me too and withdrew her hand from me. "Mom!" I sat up on the bed, wrapping my arms around her comfortingly, taking in her sweet fragrant scent.

"So nice to see you hun." She said warmly into my ear. I looked up at my dad, who was leaning against the doorframe, smiling at me pleasureful.

"You came back earlier than I expected." My voice sounded surprised, because I was. Usually when people say something like '2 weeks at most', they really mean, 'the day before it hits 2 weeks'. Just like when the cable guy comes over to your house and they say the timing is between three and five, it's always five. But this, right now, was a nice feeling.

"Yeah I know, I wanted it to be a surprise." She smiled.

"Well this is a great way to start off my weekend."

She grinned at me before flicking her head towards my dad. "So, Chris prepared breakfast for us this morning." She started as she looked back towards me and stood up from my bed. "Brush your teeth and come downstairs."

I sent her a reassuring nod before she walked away with my dad and left my room.

I got up, making my way towards my bathroom and started brushing my teeth with my same, boring, pink toothbrush. When I was 12, I used to have a singing Jonas Brothers toothbrush. I actually used to be sort of obsessed with them, with Nick, as silly as it sounds. I used to be so girly when I was younger. I'm a little less girlish these days, I've changed so much.

I made my way downstairs, sliding my hand against the railing in till I made it to the bottom of the stairs and around the corner to see my two parents laughing and smiling at each other so happily, a sight that I rarely see anymore.

"Hey." I exhaled, moving towards a seat of the dining table.

They both looked my direction, catching my presence. "Hey sweetheart." Dad smiled, walking towards the dining table as Mom followed and sat down.

I sat down as well, taking a glimpse at my plate. "Looks good." My dad is actually a great cook, he mostly cooks for the family. But that doesn't mean that my Mom isn't a good cook, she just prefers my Dad's.

"Yeah, Chris." She beamed, flashing her eyes towards him as he took a bite out of his pancake. "I've really missed your cooking." She sighed, devouring a big, enjoyable piece of her breakfast as well. He chuckled, mouth-filled.

"So Mel..." Her attention was directing towards me now. "I want to tell you something that I know you'll like." She smiled.

I nodded attentively. "I'm going to get a new job as a nurse at the Harling Springs Hospital. I don't want to be away from home anymore." She spoke.

It was impossible for me not to smile. "I start on Wednesday." She continued.

"Since when have you wanted to be a nurse?" I asked her.

"Well, I've always liked to take care of people, but never got the idea of being a nurse. I thought being a singer on a cruise ship would be funner, but it's not what I want to do anymore. I really want to have a job where I can sleep in my bed every night." She spoke honestly.