Chapter 29

--Chapter 29--

[ Flashback I ]

Year 1911.

(Harry's POV)

"Go long, mate!" I called out to Demitri, holding the American football in between my hands as I was ready to throw it. He ran back across the field before turning around towards me at a certain spot. "A little further!" I demanded, sending him to run just yards more and completely stopping at a farther distance straight across from me.

I instantly threw the ball, leading it to fly across the field and land in his hands effortlessly.

"Woohoo!" He jumped, thumping in the puddle of mud with his bare feet.

Of course, I was bare feet too, but I wouldn't step into the mud to get dirtier than I already was. Both our brown trousers were rolled up to our calves, our white long-sleeves were rolled up to just below our elbows.

"That was nice- throw it back." I clapped my hands.

He threw it perfectly as it landed in my hands. The door to my house opened as Gemma appeared at the doorway, holding the sides of her dress and careful not to let it drop to the dirty steps as she walked down them.

Demitri jogged back to me, his eyes on Gemma as she approached us both. I held the ball in between my arm and ribs, squinting my eyes at Gemma from the burning sun. I felt the sweat roll down the side of my face.

"I'm sorry to ruin the awful lot of fun you two boys seem to have, but mum has finished supper." She looked at me before quickly flashing Demitri a smile. I turned to him, noticing his weak hesitated smile.

Demitri has fancied my sister Gemma for a while now- which is a bit weird since he's seven years older than her, she's 15. If I wasn't his best friend, I would find him to be a pedophile for the liking in my sister. I've gotten used to it, but I'm still sure to keep her safe.

"You look as beautiful as ever today, Gemma." He stated across from her, reaching up to pull the loose strand in front of his face back with the rest of his gelled hair. His nervousness was very noticeable.

"Thank you, Demitri, but you both should come inside and eat before the food gets cold." She nodded, turning around and walking back into the house.

"We will be right in." I told her before turning to Demitri real quick and smirking. His face was red, but I'm not sure whether to tell if it was because of the sun or my sister.

We both followed Gemma into the house, wiping our feet on the door mat so we wouldn't get mother's floor dirty. The dinner table was set for five- my mother, step-father, Gemma, Demitri, and I.

"Sit at the table, boys." Mother instructed, holding two extra china plates in her hands. I gave her a quick peck on the cheek before sitting down. I was sat in between Gemma and Demitri. My mother and step-father sat right across from us. My step-father isn't too keen on Demitri for some reason. He just stares at him with a hateful glare, they don't bother to even communicate. It always goes like that, so we don't ever push it. No matter how much Demitri come around here.

"You both smell like the outside," Gemma teased us.

"Gemma, have you picked out what you're wearing to the ball tomorrow?" Mother looked up from her food. Everyones' silverware was still hitting against the plates as we ate supper.

"Yes." She smiled.

"How about you two Harry and Demitrious?" She asked us. Mother doesn't really have a problem with Demitri, she treats him like a son. I've known him since I was sixteen and he was twenty, his father and my step-father were acquaintances, but something went on between them so that's why I guess he doesn't like Demitri.

"Yes," I answered for us both. "At what time is the ball?"

Tomorrow was the ball. Dimitri was excited because Gemma had finally agreed on having him as her date, unlike all the other times where she always 'let him down gently'. Anyway, he could never be mad at my sister.

"It starts at seven in the evening." Mother assured me.

Supper had ended and Dimitri didn't hesitate rather than to just go home back to his father.

I took a warm shower and exited it with my towel wrapped around my waist, my hair dripping wet and hanging down to my face. It reminded me that I needed a trim before the ball tomorrow. I wasn't used to my hair in my face, so that's why it was always brushed back.

The house was quiet, only a couple of candles illuminating the mahogany hallways, not to mention the slight peek of moonlight through the blinds of the windows. Mother and step-father were fast asleep and I only wondered if Gemma was still awake.

I walked down the hallways in which both our rooms were located right across from each other. I began to acknowledge the soft, familiar music coming from Gemma's room. Her door was open as I saw from afar. I approached her door, leaning against the frame.

I watched as my sister was sat in front of her mirror brushing her hair on one side of her shoulder. She always looked so much older for her age, mature enough to trick a stranger into thinking she was already an adult. But no, she was just fifteen. The music of her marble ballerina box was playing as the small dancer spun around. She stared at herself in the mirror as she ran the brush over her hair repeatedly before finally catching a glimpse of my grin in her mirror.

She smiled, turning around to face me. "Mind brushing the back?"

Gemma and I had always treated each other nicely, it was how we were raised. I wasn't even bothered with the fact that I'd be willing to brush her hair for her.

I stepped behind her as she handed me her brush. I ran it over the thick strands on the back of her head. I was definitely not an expert on this. But since my mother and Gemma were the most important things in my life, I would do anything for them.

The music from her box stopped as the ballerina stopped dancing on queue. I never get used to the fact that she listens to this daily, if not, twice a day when getting ready or falling asleep.

"Time's up." She smiled, grabbing the brush from my hand and setting it in the box before closing it.

She walked towards her bed as she tucked herself into the blanket. I walked towards the door, stopping from her sudden call.

"Can you please turn off the light?"

I flicked the switch off and pulled the door handle, ready to close the door behind me.

"Goodnight, Gemma." I was always so careful about keeping her safe, whether I was unsafe or not. I just couldn't imagine loosing my sister.

______________________

A/N: Does anyone remember the ballerina box from just a few chapters ago? I'm just wondering :P

Q15: If you saw the VMA's, who was your favorite performer?