Chapter 16

Updates: Mondays & Fridays! :)

--Chapter 16--

"Be safe, dad." I smiled weakly, still afraid to let him go as my face dug into his chest. It was torture knowing that he wasn't going to be back for a while.

"I will. Take care of you, and your mother for me. I'm going to miss you both." He kissed my forehead, pealing me off of him. If it wasn't for him, I would of stayed there all day just to make sure he wasn't going anywhere. Too bad that couldn't happen.

He pulled my mom into his arms next, hugging her just as tight as he did to me. He kissed her cheek, departing from her as he gave us both a quick reassuring smile and trailed off towards the plane where the captain was awaiting. My dad brought his hand up to his forehead as the captain did too. It was the typical respectful gesture that they had to do, and it was what you usually saw on TV with the marines, or even when people made the same gesture to the president.

I turned back towards my mom after my dad had boarded the plane to join the rest of the men dressed in camo. She smiled at me comfortingly, trying to make the best of this.

"It won't be too long until we see him again." That's what I hoped for. I tried to believe it, and just forget about anything going wrong. All I anticipated was just for him to return home safely in a couple months.

"I know," I told her.

"You should get to school now, hun. It starts in less than twenty minutes." I guess I had to continue this day normally, like as if nothing had happened. Like as if my dad didn't just leave to train and serve our country.

••

Today went by really fast. I could barely even remember what happened in my previous classes, before I was sitting here in Chemistry. All I remembered was having lunch with Olivia. I decided to be her company since she barely has any friends here, being new.

I found out that she was related to a girl that goes here named Victoria, which I remember being in my gym class. They're cousins, that's the reason Olivia moved here.

"Guys, please be careful to use your safety gloves and not get any acid on any part of your skin. It can cause second degree burns." Mrs. Steel warned us before we started. We had to start a paired experiment in Chemistry but since Olivia didn't have a partner, Harry and I had to work with her.

"I'll be right back, I'm going to the restroom real quick." Olivia stated, standing up from her seat and heading towards the front of the classroom for a pass.

Harry looked over at me while he put on his goggles and safety gloves. "Do you want to start without her?" She probably wouldn't take too long, so I guess it wouldn't matter.

"Sure."

I put on my goggles and gloves after, as he began to pour some kind of liquid that I haven't came to know of into a test tube. "I'll just write down the results." I said, pulling out a pencil and paper.

Today wasn't really my day; I wasn't paying attention to any of my classes, and my brain wasn't functioning like usual- I was completely annoyed with everything my teachers said, which is not that strange, but it was just simply such a tiring day so far. I think it's because I was just too concentrated on the fact that my dad left to the military this morning.

"Are you sure you don't want to do anything? I don't want to hog the whole experiment." I'm positive that Harry was aware of my lack of participation as well. I usually like doing these experiments.

I didn't respond, he just looked at me curiously as he still made sure not to spill any of the liquids. "Are you okay?" He proceeded to ask me.

I shook my head, shrugging it off. Gosh, I'm terrible at hiding things. "I'm fine." I eventually told him.