Chapter 8: History Hurts

Warning, feels ahead!

(Name)'s POV

Now normally I love going to history class. In fact, I love history itself. It's better than math class that's for sure. I could probably give you an in-depth timeline from the 1200 all the way to the present, inserting facts that people probably wouldn't know if I didn't tell them.

Yet lately, it's been hard going to class. I don't mean that class was hard work wise. (I actually have an A+ in my history class). I mean, it's hard to go because of America and Britain. We were still on the American Revolution and each lesson was getting closer and closer to the Battle of Yorktown, where Cornwallis surrended to George Washington, which I do believe is where Britain surrendered to America, aka, the infamous battle scene from America's Storage room cleaning. (A/N: I honestly cried the first time I watched it).

I told France about the night before. "France, we have a major problem," I said as we drank hot cocoa at the dining room table. Everyone else was asleep.

"What is is?" he asked. "Are you 'aving more trouble with (c/n)?"

"No, not at all," I answered, shaking my head no. "It's about history class tomorrow. Tomorrow, the teacher is going to teach about the Battle of Yorktown, the last stand in the American Revolution. You know and I know that that battle was where America told Britain that they were no longer brothers."

France stiffened a bit, but not a whole lot. He knew what happened at this time in history. He aided America while Canada helped Britain so it was really the FACE family divided. "Oui, I remember zhat battle. It was 'ard on all of us."

I twirled the hot cocoa around in my cup, trying to figure out what to do. "So what do we do?"

"...Well, we cannot do much," France answered, surprising me. "If we tell zhem not to go to class, zhen zhey will know something is wrong." France looked up from his cup and gave me a serious look that I thought I would never see on him. "Zhey will 'ave to face zhe past at some point. Zhey cannot run from it forever."

"But France, you really don't want them to go through that pain again, do you?"

"Of course not, but it's impossible to escape the past. We need to let zhem face this."

I gulped and sighed. France was right, America and Britain needed to face the past, even if it hurts.

(Timeskip brought to you by America's Storage room)

The next day, I was nervous about what was going to happen in History class. My leg kept shaking on the bus and in homeroom. Thoughts kept running through my mind. What if the two get upset? Will they bust into tears? Or will they fight? All these thoughts, and more, ran through my head as it came closer and closer to history class. As soon as I walked in with America, Britain and France, I prepared myself for anything really. 

Once the bell rang, the teacher took attendance and then got to the front of class to begin the lesson; "All right class, we'll be finishing up the American Revolutionary war today with the last major battle," he announced to us. "We will be discussing the Battle of Yorktown, where Cornwallis surrendered to Washington." 

Immediately, I noticed that America and Britain tensed up. America, who was sitting to the left of me, scrunched up his fists underneath the desk while Britain, who sat two seats to the right of me, was trying to keep from shaking. I tried to not stare at them but I couldn't bring myself to not look at either one of them as the teacher went into detail about the battle. I felt like each word he was saying was walking them back through the battle. At one point, the teacher stopped to catch his breath and noticed that Britain was shaking. 

"You all right Arthur?" he asked him. 

England snapped out of whatever daze he was in and looked at the teacher, giving him a simple nod and a "yes sir,". 

Of course my history teacher happened to be much more perceptive than that. He knew something was wrong, I could just tell. Then he looked over at me. "(Name), can you take Arthur to the nurse?" 

England wished to protest but I shook my head at him, telling him that it wasn't worth trying. Once teach made up his mind, there was no changing it. "Yes sir," I answered, getting up out of my seat and taking England outside the classroom and out into the hall. Then he leaned against the lockers, not saying a word. We didn't say anything. I wanted to say something but I knew that there were no words that could make him feel better at this point. 

Then Britain did something I didn't expect him to do; he let out a small chuckle as he looked at the wall. "You know, when America was younger, I would tell him stories from history," he said, a small smile coming to his face. "He wouldn't let me read him anything else." 

I simply nodded, already aware of that but not wanting to say anything to upset him. 

"Sometimes I still see him as the little child he was when I first found him," He continued. As he did, I noticed tears welling up in his eyes. "But he isn't a child anymore, now is he? No...He's not my, little brother anymore either." The tears then spilled over and started rolling down his cheeks. 

I took a tissue out of my pocket and gave it to him. He took it and then used it to wipe his tears off his face. 

"Thank you, love." 

"...Britain, I wish there was some way I could make you feel better," I told him, looking at my feet. "I know that you're going through something that I've never been through, but I want you to know that I understand the pain you're going through." 

I looked up at Britain to see that he had finished wiping his face with the tissue. His eyes were a bit puffy but other than that, he looked fine. Then he hugged me, which caught me completely off guard. I blushed a bit as he hugged me. "Thank you so (Name)," he thanked. 

"For what?" I asked, being confused on why he was thanking me. 

He didn't say why. He just hugged me. I then understood why; he just needed someone to really talk to about his pain.