Perfect: Chapter Nine

Perfect

Chapter Nine

Emma

          As I looked out of the window of the cab, I couldn’t help but think back to Dean and why he was so eager to keep me from Beau. I mean, they are best friends. Why would he care so much if Beau and I wanted to spend the day together? I mean, we have practically grown up together. I glanced over to Beau out of my peripheral vision and studied him. He looked calm, but something still wasn’t right about him.

          At that moment, his eyes caught my gaze and we held it on each other for a moment. He smiled at me nervously, and I did the same with crazy thoughts running through my head. Is it possible that Beau might have something for me?

          I quickly shook the thoughts off, and looked away from him. There is no way, I told myself. He spent four years of his life making sure that I only saw him as a friend. He couldn’t be changing his mind now. That would just be insane!

          Just as I was about to turn towards Beau and demand for him to tell me what was really going on, the cab stopped in front of a small building on the beach. I could see the blue, clear water from where I was sitting and suddenly my heart was pounding with anticipation. I was ready to see what Beau had in planned.

          As I turned towards him, with a confused look, he looked at me with his stunning smile. My eyes got lost in his smile, the smile that lured most women in. It was the smile that would get me in trouble if I didn't back off like Dean said.

          “Remember when that bucket list we made when we were ten? Swimming with dolphins was your number one.” He asked, as he sat a pamphlet down in my hands. “I figured this would be the perfect time.”

          My eyes scanned over the words, One of the largest marine habitats in the world, Dolphin Cay.  My mouth immediately dropped open, and looked up at Beau crazily. How did he remember? I smiled, remembering the night perfectly.

FLASHBACK

          The ending credits of The Bucket List were rolling and I cried while Beau looked over at me with weird eyes. He laughed and then pushed me off the couch.

          “Emmy you are stupid.” He huffed, while turning the television off and then plopping back down on the couch.

          I rolled my eyes, and then hit him with the decorative pillow that had been lying under his feet. “I am not! Girls are smarter than boys.” I defended myself, which, I spent most of my time doing those days. At first I hated nights like these when my father would be on business somewhere and I was stuck staying with the Bradford’s. It was only because I had the world’s biggest crush on Beau, but he hates me. He tells me so all the time.