Perfect: Chapter Twelve

Perfect

Chapter 13

Emma

As I sat in the office of the Meadowbrook nursing home, I felt in a daze. Three weeks had passed since we had made it home from our senior trip and they have been filled with volunteering and planning. Most of my days I would spend here, at Meadowbrook. Ever since my grandmother had died, I loved spending time at the place she loved so much. I guess you could say this place reminded me of her since she had spent the last ten years of her life here. On the other hand, wedding planning had used up all of my other time. Dean wants to have the wedding before the fall semester starts so we won’t be so focused on the wedding once school starts.

You could say that I am okay with that, but I never thought that everything would be happening so soon. I never thought that Dean would be this eager to marry me so quickly.

I looked to the dining hall, where all of the older adults in wheel chairs and walking with canes were piling in. It was lunch time. As I finished some paperwork up on the computer, I could feel a presence behind me. When I turned around to look at who was staring at me, I felt confused.

“Elizabeth?” I asked, looking at her wildly.

Elizabeth Bradford. I immediately thought of Beau and the fact that I hadn’t seen him since the day we had gotten back. My heart almost melted at the sight of her since she looked almost exactly like him. Her long, dark brown hair fell passed her shoulders in a mess, and her blue eyes were so bright that it was crazy.

She scoffed, and then rolled her eyes. “You haven’t heard? I am surprised.” I don’t know why, but Lizzy always had something against me. Though, I guess you could say she had something against her whole family as well. She never spent any time at home and she was always going out with weird and gothic looking people.

Still confused, I stood up from my chair and walked over to the counter. “I haven’t heard about what? Is everything okay?” I asked, with a comforting sound.

Right as she was about to open her mouth and talk again, another person was walking through the front door. I looked passed Lizzy to see another shorter dark headed woman walking through the door. Samantha, Lizzy’s mother immediately smiled at me.

“Emma, baby!” She squealed, while practically jumping over the counter to hug me. “Where have you been?”

I just smiled at Samantha; she had always been like a second mother for me since mine was never around. “Here, I have been filling my days with work and wedding planning.” As I looked over at her my heart warmed, I love Samantha like a mother figure since I never really had one. Of course I had one, but she was never around and Samantha just fell into my father’s lap. Ever since then she has taken over. Just like the time she dressed me for our fifth grade Christmas show or like the all the times she made detours every morning on the way to school just to make sure my father had done my hair correctly; Either pigtails or a French braid. Most of the time Samantha did this work.