Perfect: Chapter Thirty

Perfect

Chapter Thirty

Emma

            My eyes snapped up to Dr. Bates who was shifting in his seat uncomfortably and I began laughing uncontrollably. It was probably the funniest thing I had heard all summer. “Doc, did Lizzy put you up to this?” I asked, between laughs as I pushed myself up from the bed once again.

            He sat there with a serious expression, and my laughs began to fade. My heart pounded against my chest and I took a deep breath, “This is…This is a joke right?” I asked, trying to keep my voice from shaking.

            Dr. Bates leaned in and sat my test results in my lap, “I’m afraid not, Emma.”

            My eyes scanned over the paper, and looked at the box that checks positive for pregnancy. My heart was pounding uncontrollably, and my mouth was becoming completely dry. How? This isn’t possible! My eyes shifted from the paper to Preston, “There has to be a mistake! There is no way.” I told him, trying not to panic.

            “Emma you are six weeks pregnant. I don’t know what made me check for pregnancy, but I figured knowing for sure would be the best. Blood tests for pregnancy are usually pretty accurate. However, if you would like to take a urine test as well, I would be happy to supply you with one.” He murmured, while rummaging through some of his stocking cabinets.

            My body shook uncontrollably as I listened to him talking; six weeks pregnant. I swallowed hard, thinking to Beau. If the test was right, it would have to mean that Beau is the father. Of course, Dean and I only had sex two days ago. Tears filled my eyes, and I raised my shaking hand to my mouth knowing that Beau never wanted children. He never wanted to get married. He wanted the free life style, with nothing holding him back.

            Suddenly, I was pulled out of my thoughts as Preston laid a small urine cup on the bedside table, and then a small box. I watched him closely, as he stood there for a moment. He cleared his throat, and I snapped my eyes towards him. “Take your time Emma. Once you get done, you are free to leave but I would like to talk to you in my office before you go home.” Just like that, Preston turned towards the door. I cried mostly because of the look he gave me before I disappeared. It was like he already knew how the urine test was going to turn out. Mostly, I felt like I didn't even have a chance to think that the blood test could have been wrong.

            I sat there in the bed for the longest time staring at the test that was sitting so close. I should have seen it; the sickness, breast tenderness, my absent period. Tears began falling down my cheeks, I should have known that birth control isn’t reliable. We should have been more careful, I told myself.