Perfect: Chapter Forty-Two

Perfect

Chapter Forty-Two

Beau

          I threw my napkin onto the table to let the waiter know that I was done with one hand, and with the other, I grabbed Laken’s hand from under the table for pure comfort. Lizzy’s whole birthday family dinner consisted of mother drilling Laken with unimportant questions about her future, school career, and family. It was almost like mother thought I was bringing her home to announce our engagement already. And I could promise that wasn’t the case at all.

          My eyes glanced across the table to my father who was looking at the both of us oddly. Usually, Dad had stayed quiet the whole time my mom was asking questions and trying to get to know the woman that I had decided to bring home.  Dad’s stare was so intense that I quickly looked away and studied everything in the private dinner room at Landry’s Steak House that had been reserved for our family.

          “Well Laken, may I ask what your parents do?” My mother asked, sweetly. It was just like my mother to make friendly talk, when I knew very well that she still wasn’t sure about how she felt of Laken anyways. I guess you could say that it was the way my mother was brought up-to always be polite no matter what.

          Laken glanced over at me for a moment but then quickly set her gaze on my mother. “My dad is the dean of USFA test piloting school and my mother is his secretary up at the office.”

          “And Beau tells us that you are in Fashion at UCLA?”

          “Yes mam, I am a second year student at UCLA and I just love it…”  Laken answered, as if she was really in the conversation while I had my dad and sister giving me odd looks at the same time. Mom didn’t notice them; Laken didn’t either. But I did. However, I didn’t want to interrupt them because they looked as if they were in an interesting conversation. “However, I would just love to hear about your career, Mrs. Bradford. I bet being an independent writer is amazing.”

          Soon, I was zoning all of it out because I was so ready to get the rest of this party on and it be over so I could go back to California where everything seemed so much better than it was here. After minutes of staring out into space, I stood from my chair and announced, “I’m going to run to the lounge and get another scotch. Does anyone want anything else?”

          Mother looked up and grabbed her glass of white wine, “I’d love another glass Chardonnay!” She mentioned, before putting her glass down and turning back to Laken.

          Laken smiled sensually, “I’ll take another vodka on the rocks. Thanks babe.” She murmured, right before rubbing her hand down my back towards my ass.