Chapter 4 (Finally, right?)

Chapter 4

Jade

I smiled at my notebook. I began to sing a couple of the lyrics out loud.

What would you do? What would you say?

How does it feel? Pretend it's OK

My eyes deceive me, but it's still the same

Pretend it's OK.”

“That was great.”

I looked up and saw Perrie.

“Um, hi,” I mumbled, a light crimson color blooming on my cheeks.

“Did you write that?” she asked sitting next to me under the shielding of the tree.

I laughed nervously with a small nod. “Yeah,” I answered sheepishly.

“It was good. Really good, Jade. Could- could I help?” she asked hesitantly.

I blinked. “What?”

“Can I help with the rest of the song because it would seem that that’s all you have,” she said leaning close to look down at my notebook that had a tiny excerpt.

I sighed. “Yeah. I’m trying to come up with more, but it’s hard.” I began to pout.

She laughed. “Well, I’ve got a couple of ideas.” She shrugged. She placed her hand on my pencil and then met my eyes. “May I?”

I shrugged and loosened my grip so she could pull the pencil from my fingers. I handed her my notebook and she smiled before she looked down at the paper. At first when her face brightened, her hand seemed hesitant to write down the lyrics that she murmured as she scrawled them down. She sang them to me.

I see the light that I'm chasing

A memory, but it's fading.”

She lifted her face to look at me. I smiled. “I like that.” I nodded.

She smiled happily and then began to hum. “When it’s gone I’ll be waiting.” She frowned. “That’s all I can think of right now.”

“Know when it’s too late,” I sang, changing the tune of the words and the stanzas a little.

She beamed. “That works.” She then began to turn pages in my journal.

“Pez!”

She smiled at me. “Pez?”

I blushed. “You can’t just look through it.”

She shrugged her shoulders and her eyes trailed along the lines of a song I wrote a while back.

“Wow. You wrote this too?” she asked.

I frowned and then peeked at what song she was reading from. I swallowed at the memory of the dark time I was in when I wrote it.

“Uh, yeah. But that was a long time ago,” I answered in a shaky voice.

She looked up with a concerned expression. “Would you mind if I asked you about what it was that possessed you to write this song?”

I sighed and answered honestly. “Yes, actually. It’s not personal or anyth-”

“I understand.” She placed her hand on my mine. “There’s a lot of pain and sadness in this song. And when you’re ready I want you to know that you can tell me about it.” Her blue eyes were bright in the lighting, but they were also warm with kindness and empathy.