Chapter 20 (the A/Ns an absolute mess, people)

Chapter 20

"Jade! I would like for you to meet Jack and his daughter, Cordelia," my mum smiled.

The girl before me was small with big brown eyes and a timid smile, much like my own as we waved awkwardly at each other.

"Well why don't you two stay here and play nicely?" my mum said, before taking Jack's hand and leading him off so I was alone with Cordelia.

"Well- uhhh- hi? I guess. I'm Jade."

"I'm aware," her American voice snapped.

I grimaced. "Oh. O- Okay."

"Look here's the deal. Jack is my dad. And soon, she will be my mom. We clear?"

"Uhh-"

"I said, we clear?" she repeated harshly.

"Yeah. Yeah, I guess we're clear."

~*~

"But Mum! I didn't do anything! You’ve got to believe me, I swear it wasn't me!" I cried.

My mother just stared at me disdainfully as she shook her head. "I can't believe what person you've become."

"What?"

I could hear Cordelia's sobs from where she sat crying on the couch, shaking her head. "I'm so sorry! I- I didn't mean to cause any trouble I just-"

"Its okay, Sweetheart. You did the right thing."

My mother’s never called me anything like that.

She turned back to me. "Why would you spread those rumours about her, like that?" she demanded.

"Not once, Mum, have I called her a whore! I hardly even talk to anyone to spread rumours!" I argued.

"Mrs. Jone-"

"No, Mac! You stay out of this!"

"But she's telling the truth," he defended, setting his hands in my shoulders comfortably.

"Is she? Mac, I love you like you are my own son for having watched after her, but that is because you protect her at every cost. How do I know that isn't exactly what you're doing? How can I trust you about this?"

I then sobbed. "You don't have to trust him, Mum, you're supposed to trust me! I'm your daughter! Not her!" I added vehemently, pointing m finger harshly in Cordelia’s direction.

I swear I saw her face soften and she opened her mouth, to admit she was wrong. But she only sighed and looked back at her husband and Cordelia who was still faking tears before saying, "Jade, I'm sending you to boarding school. Maybe there you'll learn your lesson."

I gaped when she walked away from me to comfort her.

"Jade," Mac murmured.

I sobbed and he pulled me into his chest and I held into him, wiping my face though I continued to cry.

"Mac, please. Please don't leave me."

"I won't, I won't, I swear that I won't."

~*~

"Oh! Jade, I would like for you to meet Cord-"

"Get out," I snarled.

Perrie blinked at me in shock. “Jade. I don’t see wh-”

“I don’t want her in my room!” I shouted.

Cordelia pouted. “But why? There’s an extra bed and everything!” she cheered.