Chapter 23

Chapter 23

"It's been forever since I've been out of this place," I smiled. "I think it's time I start getting out a bit more."

Mac said nothing; just stared ahead.

I frowned. "You okay?"

He blinked and looked down. His green eyes looked at me sideways. "I'm leaving," he blurted.

At first I didn't hear his words. I didn't want to. "Wh-what?"

He turned his head away from me again. "We're moving back to California," he said quietly. "My parents want this and... they are my guardians so I have to go."

"How long?" I choked out. "When are you leaving?"

Once again he didn't say anything.

"Answer me!" I commanded. "Don't you at least owe me that?" I added.

"Tonight, Jade." I closed my eyes shut. It felt as though I were being shot in the chest. "I'm leaving tonight in an hour."

The elevator dinged and he walked out of it, just leaving me there. The door closed back up and I fell to the floor. I didn't want to believe it. He was leaving. He was leaving me. I was going to be here all alone. I began to sob and then suddenly the room began swimming in my eyes. Terror began to pound in my ears as the walls seemed to grow tighter and tighter around me.

My chest heaved and I began to cough. I didn't want to be here. I didn't want to stay in this horrid place.

Suddenly this elevator was like a symbol for this school. For this lonely life I was going to live. Why does this keep happening?

I began to cry and the elevator door closed. In a panic I shot up. "No!" I gasped. But the elevator was already moving. I stumbled and fell back hitting my head on the railing of the elevator.

I had escaped.

~*~

"M-Mac," I whispered, moving away from him.

He frowned. "Well don't treat me like a stranger."

My eyes stared at him. The tattoos, the tank top. "You seem like one."

He rolled his eyes and sat down beside me. He smirked. "Sure about that?"

His eyes weren't the same green. They were now mixed with brown, forming a sort of grey hazel. They twinkled knowingly at me. He nudged my leg with his own. "Come on, JJ. I'm sure you don't hate me that much." He looked around. "I mean this is our meadow."

I stared at him incredulously, trying not to let those words affect me. "You-you left. You abandoned me," I snarled.

He frowned again. "I was sixteen. When my parents move I kind of have to also."

"What about now?" I asked. "Why are you here?"

He sighed. "My parents sent me here. They thought I needed 'discipline' or..." He waved his hand. "Or something like that." His forehead was still crinkled when he looked back at me. "I was hoping you'd still be here, but at the same time I wasn't," he said softly.

I felt my heart beat quicken. I am in a shit load of boy trouble. I shook my head. "You can't come back and try to pretend nothing has changed."

He chortled. "No. I'm embracing the change. You say I'm a stranger; look at you, Miss Wallflower. You've outgrown your shell." He eyed me appraisingly. His gaze although admiring, wasn't the kind of look that Harry would give me. It was as though he was really seeing my change rather than my body.