Chapter 29

Chapter 29

"Hey."

I didn't look up like I maybe should've. I didn't really feel like talking. Crying seemed like the best thing to do right now. The easiest.

"What happened?"

The voice was soft and feminine so I looked up at the stranger. Her brown eyes were wide and looked down at me with concern. Her binder was against her chest and the long sleeves on her sweater reached past her wrists and her heart shaped face was compassionate.

I breathed in shakily as I tried to pull myself together. I knew curfew was coming so I had to pull myself together, but I so desperately needed to cry. And I needed to talk, I realized.

I sighed. “It- It turns out that- that I’ve-” I sucked in a breath of air. “That I’ve been lied to countless times in my life.” I looked away from her and at the ground, wiping my eyes.

I heard some movement and then she spoke again. “I don’t know. Sometimes the truth is worse than any white lie you could be told,” she said quietly.

I sniffled. “I’m not crying because of the truth, I’m crying because I was lied to about it.” I should’ve been told a long time ago that I was adopted- and I should’ve been told by the woman I had believed for years now to be my mother.

But it was a lie. It was all a lie.

“What was the truth?” she continued.

I didn’t think before I told her. Maybe it was because she looked genuinely concerned with her creased eyebrows and deeply brown eyes, or even her soft tone, but I just told her. I sighed again. “My mum she . . . she isn’t my real mum,” I said. “And the worst part is that she wasn’t the one to tell me. And better yet she hasn’t treated me like a daughter for years and it just- it just hurts.” I wiped at my eyes sadly.

I didn’t want to believe this. I just couldn’t. I would probably come around to forgiving my “parents” and “sister,” but my “mother” will be hard to cope with.

“Oh. Moms,” she said. She shrugged. “What about your dad?”

I licked my lips. “He was the one to tell me. And I only found out he was my dad at the same time he told me I was adopted. I’ve known him for maybe a week, but apparently I’ve known my mother for the past few months.”

“Really?” she practically gasped.

I nodded. “Really.”

There was a moment of silence before she was speaking again. “Well . . . my mom died when I was seven which left me with my step dad,” she told me.

At this I glanced at her as she shrugged her shoulders and pressed her lips together. “O-Oh. I-I’m sorry,” I sniffled.

She smiled sadly. “Its okay. My step dad takes care of me and all, so I’m a survivor.” Her head went to the side. “And I’m sure you are too.”

I smiled back at her. “Thanks,” I said.

She nodded and then glanced around. “Curfew is a comin and I need to go,” she chuckled, standing up. She looked down and held out her hand. “Need a hand?”

I nodded and took it thankfully. I smiled at her gratefully and she asked, “Do you think you’ll be alright from here?”

I twitched my nose. “Any last advice?”

She giggled. “Follow the yellow brick road.” I frowned in confusion and then she began to walk away with her high pony tail swinging behind her.