Chapter 30

This is the last chapter. There will be no epilogue because this kind of sums everything up and ends everything nicely. I’m sorry its so short, but I’ll say more at the end which includes a really adorable Jarry scene, okay? Okay? Okay.

*not edited thoroughly*

Chapter 30

"Are you okay?" he asked me quietly.

I glanced over at Harry and as I stared at him I shook my head after a moment.

"No," I whispered. "But I will be," I added.

"Was it terrible? What she said?" His green eyes were soothing and I turned my head so I could stare back into oblivion.

"Yes," I nodded. He sucked air into his mouth sharply and I continued before he worked himself up. "But not in that way... it's just..." I sighed. "What happened to her was awful." I frowned. "I'm still upset about this, but... she was a teenager kicked out of her own home because of a mistake..." I blinked away tears and turned my head to face way from Harry. "Because of me."

"He," he said quietly, reaching his hand to touch my face and lightly turn it towards him. "It wasn't your fault. It wasn't anyone's. None of it was intentional," he tried soothing.

I shook my head and sobbed. "That's the point Harry. It wasn't intentional. I grew up believing I was born by two parents who loved each other and I also believed that for a short amount of time they even loved me!" I covered my face. "But even that messed up fantasy isn't real."

"I'm sure your parents did love each other." I was hard of hearing as my own mind was loud with ignorant thoughts. He continued, pulling me into him. "Your dad must care after looking for and after you all these years," he murmured. I rest my head on his chest and he just let me cry on him.

His words made sense, but it all still hurt. I pitied both myself and my "mother" since we were both put into unfair and uncontrollable situations. Her with her parents, and me with fate.

I squeezed my eyes shut. "I just wish things didn't have to be so complicated," I whispered hoarsely.

He rubbed my back with one hand and pet my hair with the other. "Do you wanna know what I suggest?"

I nodded dishonestly. I didn't really.

"I think you should talk to all three of them again. If not all of them, then maybe you should sit down with Cordelia and Mr. Thirlwall one more time."

I sniffled and pouted. "Why?" I asked him.

He smiled. "Because maybe this time you'll listen more closely."

I go back to staring at the ground. I mumble childishly, "Why should I?"

He laughed. "So you know the full story."

~*~

I exhaled deeply and licked my dry lips. I lifted my hand, but then paused, unsure if I wanted to actually knock. I could always just unlock the room since I do still have the key. After all this is my room too, but there is something so much more poetic and symbolic about her opening the door willingly and inviting me in herself.

What? I'm still nerdy at heart.

I sigh again and am about to walk away when the door opens. I turn sick around with Bambi eyes and see Cordelia with her own stumped expression. We haven't talked for two days and she must've expected I'd block her out a bit longer.

I probably would've expected it too.

"J-Jade," she stuttered.

"C-Cordelia," I unintentionally mimicked.