Chapter 47: Shady Figure Part 1

Tris POV

The bird's voices echo throughout the forest as I take a deeper breath. Two more miles, I think to myself. Since I was in a coma for so long I lost some muscle and of course Amar is having me go through this intense workout thing, which involves me running 10 miles a day, wonderful right? I've decided to go on runs through the woods instead of running on a treadmill because here I actually find some peace.

I slow to a sudden stop once I notice the birds are silent. The only noise is the crows crying and flying away. The clouds settle low giving me an erie feeling. I always know when something bad is going to happen. A God giving gift you could say. The fog makes it almost impossible to see through and it starts to mist making it even harder to see.

Soon all the birds are quiet and the entire forest was silent. I jump back when three cows fly right by me, flying away and quickly, from something, or someone. I turn around and I don't know if it was my imagination or actually there, but there stood a dark figure, starring at me. I could feel my heart in my throat as I tried to swallow but couldn't.

The figure didn't move and neither did I, I knew that running from this strange figure would be useless, he most likely had a gun, and if I ran he would just shoot me, if he didn't mean me harm, then he wouldn't be standing in the woods starring at me. We stand there for what seems like hours, my palms grew sweaty and I could feel the new adrenaline coursing through my veins. My heart was pounding so hard I it started to hurt my chest.

I slowly reached for my gun that was strapped behind my waistline, and let my hand rest there. The fog got thicker and thicker and I didn't dare move my eyes from him, for fear of not being able to see him again. I hear footsteps behind me but don't turn around. It must be a DH student running along this path because this is on school property.

"Tris?" I hear a voice say and turn around to see Four. He looks confused and worried. I whip around to look for the stranger again but he's gone.

"Tris are you ok?" Four asks. I just take a few steps forward, looking for the man.

"Yeah I'm fine," I say not quiet knowing what to say.

"Well, you want to finish the run together?" he suggests. I turn round and smile at him, "Yeah."

As we run I can't stop thinking about the strange man; it wasn't just that he was a shady figure, something was off about him, really off. Like when you meet someone and just know that they're important, I just knew he was something that I should worry about, something that I should run from. I keep debating in my head whether or not to tell anyone, they'll probably either think I'm paranoid or mental. Maybe I am paranoid; maybe I did just imagine it all.

We reach the top of a hill and at the bottom there's a small river. I take a deep breath happy that we're finally done. Then suddenly I'm tackled to the ground and rolling down the hill with Four. I scream at first but my screams turn into laughter; when we're at the bottom I shove Four into the river sending him splashing into the river. Once he comes up I start laughing at his face of pure shock. I just sit there with one leg dangling over the ledge.

"You're going to pay for that!" he says reaching for my leg but I jump back onto my but laughing. I stand on the ledge and walk along it as Four backstrokes, "Fine it's your loss," he says backstroking away from me. Then I hear someone yell something like a battle cry and see Will jump into the river making a huge splash, getting me drenched.

"Will!" I scream and he just laughs.

"Once you get out I'm going to kill you!" I exclaim.

"Well then," he says backstroking with Four, "I guess I'll just never get out."

"Tris!" I hear Christian shout and I see her at the top of the hill, "Are there sharp rocks at the bottom?"

I look in the river, "No!" I yell back looking for any signs of danger, " Why?" right when I turn around I'm tackled into the water before I can even process what happened. When I come up I scream and jump on Christina, "I'm going to murder you, you little.." before I finish we both plunge back into the water. I feel two arms wrap around me and Four pulls me up.

"Chicken!!" he shouts, Christina glances at me and we both smirk while climbing onto the boys backs. I sit on Four's shoulders and Christina and I start to wrestle, that's when suddenly I'm thrown into the water and so is Four. When I come up I'm beyond confused but then I see Edward, Will, and Christina cheering.

"Hey you cheated!" I shout.

"Um chicken has no rules, besides whoever is in the water first is the loser," Will says waving his finger in the air.

"Well in that case," Four says and jumps on Will.

"Edward I thought you cared for me, " I say in mock hurt.

"Yeah," he smiles, "But Will was from Erudite so I had no other choice," he shrugs grinning.

"Wait guys," Christina says and the boys stop wrestling, "Did you hear that?" she asks and suddenly there's a gunshot.

"We're pretty close to the hood, we should be safe from stray bullets though because the rocks give us cover," Will says.

"Exactly," Christina say to Will and that's when I realize they're holding hands, "This is the perfect place for someone who is being chased by a gunman."

Right when she says that a man runs about 30 yards away from us and gets shot falling into the water. Then out of the woods come three gang members.

"Get underwater," Will harshly whispers, "Get underwater!" We all dive underwater and swim as fast as we can underwater in the opposite direction. After about five minutes I go up for air and notice we're pretty far from them but we keep going. We keep going all the way until it's so shallow that we can't swim anymore.

Four is the first to get out and look around and then me and the rest follow us.

"You can hear the cars to the north," Four says.

"You guys have any idea of where we are?" he turns to Will and Edward.

"Downtown Chicago," they reply at the same time.

" How do you guys know that?" Christina asks.

"We memorized a map of the city, " they reply once again at the same time.

"For an assignment?" I ask.

"No for fun," Edward says. Christina and I look at each other, "Erudite," we mumble and follow them.

We walk through an alleyway when we hear a gunshot incredibly close.

"Run home?" I ask.

"Yes!" The all shout and we start to sprint down the alleyway. Then four figures appear at he end with guns.

"I got the small one," I say.

"Tall one," Four says.

"Left," Christina.

"I'll get the last one I guess," Edward says.

I don't pay attention to anything but taking down the guy in front of me. I jump on him and flip him around punching his neck as hard as I can causing him to stay on the ground. We all jump up at the same time and I look back at the four unconscious people at the end of the alleyway. Then at the other end of the alleyway I think I see the dark figure.

+ + +

I sit in my bed holding my incredibly big puppy, Kaya. It's nine o'clock and I don't want to go to bed for fear of my dreams. Tonight I know another figure will appear in my dreams, a new figure. I look out my window to see if Four's window is open. I see that his shades are closed and get a bad feeling. What if his dad is hurting him again? I look out to my back yard, and that's when I see him. In all black, motionless, standing and starring.