Chapter 73: Silence After the Storm

His body clung to mine as I zoned out over his shoulder to look at his dead beat father lying in a pool of his own blood, blood that was put there by his own son. For all the years of torment and abuse I don't know if the feeling inside me is relief and triumph or disgust and repulsiveness at what Four had just done, he had beaten his own father the same way his father had beaten him for so many years. Then again, he did it for me, he saved me. Then how come the only emotion I feel towards him right now is disgust and fear?

"Four," I croak out a small whisper, "I'm calling Amar..." he pulls back and rests his whole torso on mine pressing me further into the ice cold wall.
"No," he wheezes, the hangover still evident in his eyes, "You can't call Amar he'll..."
"Tobias, I'm never going to speak to you again until you're sober enough to stand on your own feet and sharp enough to realize what you're doing and saying," the words soar out of my mouth and I watch in astonishment as his face contorts into pure horror at them.

"Tris I..." he cries out with a twisted frown of pain evident on his face.
"Stop! First last night now this morning, I know you saved me from Marcus but neither of us would be in this damn mess if it wasn't for you getting drunk last night! I put up with it long enough and I'm done. Ok, I'm done following you around making sure someone doesn't slip something in your drink or making sure you don't drive home on your own. All while watching my own drink to make sure your drunk ass doesn't do something to it!" all of my fears are beginning to seep out of my mouth like old wine pouring into a clear glass. These words are too old and the truth is starting to become too clear, not only to him but to me.

"You think I would do that to you?" by this time his hands are gripping my face deadly tight and his bottom lip quivers in terror.
"That's the thing, I never know what you'll do to me when you're in that state," I wheeze out as memories of a drunk Four trying to seduce me and eventually trying to force himself on me flash before my mind as the fear simulation plays in my head like a broken tape.

"Do you even remember kissing me last night? Or how you kissed me? Oh yeah and what about what you said to me? On how you'd understand if I left you?" I watch as his eyes darken at the last question.
"So try to understand this, if I ever see you drunk again, you can count on seeing me walk away from you and never turning back." My own words take me by surprise but I was angry, no I was furious. The rage inside me has to be released and he has to understand this isn't some negotiation where he can just apologize for last night and we pretend it never happened. This is now not only about his future but mine and I'm not getting involved with that, not anymore.

His lip falls slightly and hovers for a second before pursing tightly.
"After everything we've been through, you'd throw it all away just like that?" his voice breaks through the silence.
"After everything we've been through, you're going to let your own selfishness kill you?" I bite back with a new type of fire and anger in me. He stares at me for a long and quiet minute and the only sound heard is his heavy chest heaving up and down with every new breathe.
"Get out," his words break the silence and I feel all the air that was restored in my lungs leave in a split second.
"I said get out," he repeats this time lower and more gruff.
"I can't believe you," I breath out looking up at him in disgust, "I can't believe you love liquor more than you could ever love me." By this time my voice is scratchy from the screams that are building up inside my chest from the pain that's ripping through me like a rabid beast.

I just slip from in between the wall and the little space between us before sailing down the stairs with treacherous tears falling down my face like a waterfall. The sound of a grunt and a body hitting the floor tells me he's fallen down whether or not from the same grief and devastation that's taking over my body or just from his stupid hangover I guess I'll never know. Making my way out of his house and trenching through the ten foot walk home I barge into my house and shove everything out of the way screaming my head off through the empty house and sprinting for the comfort of my room.