Chapter 66: The Streets of America

"What?" his voice is breathless and eyes alert.
"Just for a little bit..." I trail off not knowing how hard this was going to be.
"Are you cheating on me with Jason?" his voice is completely and utterly emotionless while his face looks broken
"What? N..NO!" I shout completely shocked that he'd think that.
"Then why are you always talking to him? Are you interested in him!?" he shouts motioning to nothing in particular.
"Four no!"
"THEN WHY ARE YOU ALWAYS WITH HIM!? WHY ARE YOU BREAKING UP WITH ME!?" he's all out fuming by this point and I see angry tears forming in his eyes as tears streamed down my face and soon the tears fall down his.

"FOUR ITS NOT LIKE THAT I JUST NEED TO FIGURE A FEW THINGS OUT THATS ALL!" I scream back trying to get his attention when it looks like he's about to explode.
"LIKE WHAT!? YOUR FEELINGS FOR ME? WAS ALL OF THIS FOR NOTHING, EVERYTHING WE'VE BEEN THROUGH YOU'RE GOING TO THROW AWAY!?" his words pierce my heart and I find myself choking on my sobs so much that I can't make out words.

"Why would you do this to me?" he says softly and turns around and leaves.

He just leaves, he doesn't even look back as the sobs consuming my body shake me and choke me.
"Four wait," I try to say but nothing comes out, only more sobs as I realize what I've just done, I had the best thing in the world and I just broke him.

                                                                                         +++

The wind whirls around me like a Van Gough painting. It bites my cheeks as icy tears lay on them with more streaming down like a steady river. What have I done? I know Four won't come here because of his fear of heights and it was the only place I could get myself to go to so finally after hours of sobbing and trying to get myself together I finally mustered enough courage to get up and go to the top of the Hancock building.

The business and buzz of life swarm on the ground that's underneath me, but when I look up at the sky everything is calm. The stars are so much clearer up here and the moonless night makes them shine even brighter. Looking down at the busy streets I can't help but wonder what the people down there are running from, kneeling down I rest my head and arms on the ledge of the building gazing down at the beauty of it all.

There are so many different lives down there, so many different problems and solutions looking to my left I can see downtown where poverty thrives and crime is apart of life. Then to my left I can nearly see my neighborhood where all of the councilmen live protected by a large fence from any threat. Four is probably there right now. The thought makes my heart clench tightly in my chest, as if my heart itself was holding in a sob like I am right now.

Looking over I remember the note I left for my parents saying I needed some alone time and I was safe but alone. I know they're going to be pissed at me for leaving without permission, especially without my phone but I couldn't take the texts from my friends anymore I almost threw my phone in the toilet. I also know the longer I'm out of the house the angrier they get and I'll come home to fuming parents.

Yet the stars seem so hopeful and the streets fill my dead veins with life and possibility. I know that I need to go home, but I just can't seem to get enough courage to go and face them to face my problem. What do I do? The only thing I have on him is the real reason he left Sweden and I have no leads on that, I can't go to school tomorrow either I could never face him. Laying on my back I stare at the bright and beautiful stars, I take the biggest breathe I can muster, and scream. I scream at Jason and at Four and at Amar.

And just like that I knew what I had to do.

With that thought and determination running through my head I stood up on shaky feet and went down the building I have loved so much and back home.

                                                                                                      +++

Standing at the door of my house I stare and memorize every curve of it. I take a deep breathe and place my hands on the cold nob before turning it. As I walk in I notice every light is on in the house and turning I shut the door gently before quick footsteps fill the house and in walk both of my concerned and pissed parents.

"Beatrice Prior where were you!" my mom screams wrapping her arms around me and stroking my hair firmly.
"Beatrice I can't believe you would leave like that! and without your phone!" my father shouts, I don't know if it was my father's angry tone, or being in my mother's arms because I break down. I didn't think I had any tears left, but I guess my body saved some for this moment.

Both my parents go silent as I sob into my mother's chest. After a while and streams of tears I had none left and I finally pulled away biting my lip so hard that I tasted iron.

"Four and I broke up," I say silently and both my parents exchange a concerned look before my father comes and holds me in his arms. I wrap my arms around my father as I recall what was supposed to be a temporary break up until I got something on Jason but I can't help but wonder if Four and I are permanently finished.

"Your friends stopped by while you were out, they didn't know what happened to you or Four, apparently he left halfway through the day without saying a word to them, " my father explains and the shouts echo through my head, the harsh tones Four and I used to get to each other. I pull back and wipe any access tears away from my now red and puffy face.

"I need to talk to Amar," I say quietly as I remember my plan. My parents once again exchange a look accept this time of shock, looking back at me I can tell they have questions but they know I won't answer them, not yet.
"Honey can this wait till the morning?" my mom asks and I quickly shake my head.

"I'll drive," my dad says quickly and goes into the kitchen to grab the keys.
"Beatrice, is everything alright?" my mom asks skeptically. She knows Four and I loved each other and that for us to break up it would take something monstrous and a real danger.

I simply give her a tight smile before heading off into the car with my father and a very awkward silence. Thoughts of Jason swarmed my head, that's when a memory hits me like a truck. 

"Listen Tris, if he has something on you and is forcing you to do anything, I can get you out of it," he whispered quickly in my ear.

He knew Four and I were dating all along, he was simply hinting what he would do to me. Does that mean if I don't get this situation under control that I would be forced to be Jason's girlfriend. That one sentence has described everything that's he's done to me, what's stopping him from hurting Four and I even more?

My thoughts are stopped when I see Tori and Amar's mansion come into view, my father pulls in the driveway with a sigh and before I can get out he stops me, "Beatrice, you need to know your mother and I are always there for you." His eyes are sad and filled with betrayal that I went to Amar who I'm fighting with rather than my own parents, but the thing that they don't know is only Amar can fix this.

"I know," I say quickly, "I love you dad," the words seem to surprise him as I lean over and give him a kiss on the cheek and in one swift movement I'm out the door heading for their house. I glance back to see my father's car still in the driveway despite him knowing I'll sleep over at their house.

Standing at the doorway I take a deep breathe and ring the doorbell. I wait maybe a minute or so before I reach for the doorbell again but the door abruptly flies open revealing Amar in a nothing but a robe and Tori the exact same way.

For a second all I can do is take in their appearances, they're out of breathe and the robes seem to have just been thrown on.
"Tris what are you doing here it's one in the morning!" Tori asks obviously pissed.
"I would ask you guys what you're doing but I'm not that sure I want to know," I mumble glancing at the beads of sweat on their foreheads. When they said they were all night partiers they meant it.

"Tris why are you here?" Tori asks and pulls me into the house as I glance outside I look to see if anyone is watching us and my actions defiantly don't go unnoticed by Amar.
"And why weren't you in school today?" she continues.
"Four and I broke up," the silence after the words I say seem to drown me.

"Why?" this time Amar's the one who speaks and I meet his analyzing eyes, he knows I wouldn't have come in the middle of the night unless there was a threat.
"Jason has some pictures over my head," and just like that I tell them everything.