Chapter 63: We're Back and Better Than Ever

Quick note before the chapter begins I really need a knew cover and can't quit find the right one so if someone sends me one that suits the story they'll get a shoutout and follow!

                                                                                 +++

"We just all wanted to say welcome back!" the loud speakers echo the secretary's voice.
"I know we went through a rough patch at the end of last year but it's safe to say that Divergent High is back!" Johanna Reyes continues as 10,000 students scream and cheer, yet I'm not one of them. Instead I sit back and watch as my friends jump and cheer, screaming Divergent at the top of their lungs showing so much school spirit I think I might get sick.

It isn't until Four glances down that his voice dies and he stares dumbfounded at me until his face shown with understanding.
"Tris, are you ok?" he asks right in my ear so I can hear him over the blaring students. Nodding my head yes I give a tight knit smile, he shakes his head slightly, "I know when you're lying sweetheart."

I know you know. But what am I supposed to say? Divergent High is now missing four Seniors, two Juniors, and three teachers, all because of Jeanine Matthews. That is not something I'm going to celebrate. Slowly standing my voice finds itself in the chant, "Di-ver-gent Di-ver-gent," my voice echoes, I don't do it because the school is now stronger after the pain it's received, I do it for all who survived, me included.

                                                                                              +++

"Holy shit I forgot how boring school is," Zane groans from next to me who appears just the same as when he left for Australia. Turns out we are the only ones in Neurology 5th hour out of all our friends, of course with a new Neurology teacher because our last one tried to kill half of us.

The bell finally rings signaling it's lunch and to say I'm starving is an understatement. Last year since I was a lower classmen I had first lunch and since being an upperclassmen is just oh so great I get second lunch now which means starving for another 45 minutes.

Leaping up I follow Zane in hot pursuit to the cafeteria, entering I see almost 2,500 new faces leaving first lunch. Ugh freshmen. I remembering the day I came here, Four knocked a senior out, Shauna stole the most popular girl's boyfriend, and I... well I set off the fire alarm on a dare. But I'd really like to forget about that.

Shaking my head at the thought I head over to our 'new' table for the year. Sliding into a seat next to Four I smirk at him as he pecks me on the lips. Feeling multiple stares on us I glance up to see some freshmen starring wide eyed.
"Ah the good ol' days," Four says once he follows my gaze to the small humans.

"You're calling us trying to murder each other physically, mentally, emotionally, and whatever other way there is of murdering someone, the good ol' days?" I reply keeping my face serious but tone playful.
"Remember right in that very spot Tiny, I dumbed all of my broccoli soup on you mid-freshman year?" I can't help but laugh at the memory of being completely humiliated, it felt like the end of the world at the time, but now looking back at that and how I actually survived the end of the world, now that's a whole new story.

"Oh yeah and when every single lunch you would always steal my phone and go through my pictures and texts, I still don't know how you knew my password every single time?" I look up at him skeptically while he wears a mischievous smile.
"Shh some secrets stay secrets," he smiles down at me and I feel my heart warm at him.

"New classes, new lunches, new people, and new relationships," she says nodding her head towards Caleb and Susan. I let out a small laugh as I see my brother's new and improved girlfriend. It isn't until I see who's sitting next to them that my heart drops into the pit of my stomach leaving the most unpleasant feeling in me, no unpleasant is to much of an understatement. Pain is more like it. Myra sits there, as pale as the last time I saw her and lifeless as the food on her plate rests which lay completely untouched, she stares forward at nothing in particular and I feel the pang of loosing Edward. He was only 16.