Chapter 68: Wasn't Me

"I want to go home," I mutter under my breathe to Caleb as he walks me through the halls with judgmental stares boring into me. As much as Amar, Tori, my parents, and even principal Eaton try to convince the students that the photo was fake there are still skeptics and always will be, something I guess I'll have to learn to live with.

Since I was gone Thursday and the photo was released on Friday I had the weekend to regroup myself and attempted at setting the rumors straight. Attempted. At least I have Lauren on my side and most of the bitches take her side, then Caleb convinced all the nerds that the photos were fake, he even had a scanning thing done proving it, jeez my brother's a genius, and last but defiantly not least Eric scared the shit out of anyone in his 'scary' clan that if they talked about it he would pummel them to bits.

The thought of Eric brings back memories of when he faked being my boyfriend and I can't help but let my mood lift as I release I can rely on people outside of my little group to help me out when needed.

The judgmental eyes scanned every bit of me, despite me trying to be as modest as possible today I still felt completely exposed and naked. A burning hate unlike anything else I'd experience consumed me for Jason. That bastard ruined my life now I'll ruin his. Tori and Amar are debating on releasing the information about him or just threatening him with because he still has revealing pictures about me.

It isn't until I make it to first period that I finally relax a bit, booking it to the back of the room. I soon realize I'm here way to early, I only wanted to come so I'd miss rush hour in the halls, I don't know if I could handle any more stares without breaking down.

Glancing down at my phone I quickly scroll through my notifications which have increased by ten since Friday. Seeing I got a text from my mom I quickly open it because I know she gets pissed when I don't respond right away, the message is short and sweet telling me to have a good day and she knows it'll be rough but soon it'll all be over. Yeah right, when will it be over? It'll be on the news soon once a reporter gets their hands on it and the school will never forget that the two poster children of Christians are banging in secret.

My head shoots up as I see Four walk in the classroom, hair glistening showing he just got out of the shower in the locker room. When his eyes meet mine a small smile forms on his lips and he walks over to me without breaking eye contact. To my surprise the first thing he does is pull me to his chest into a tight heartwarming hug.

I feel my muscles loosen with my heart rate suddenly at a steady beat  of a drum and I swear I could fall asleep in his arms.
"Am I interrupting something?" I hear the voice of someone at the other end of the classroom say. My head whips up to see someone I'd almost completely forgotten about the past year. Drew.

"Shouldn't he be in jail?" I mutter to Four who pulls me tighter to his chest.
"He got out of juvenile hall last month," he mutters with his iron grip on me getting even stronger.
"He kidnapped me, shouldn't him and Molly be in a mental hospital or something? And why is he allowed back at Divergent High?" my voice is small and weak, mirroring how I feel.

"I don't know," he says while his eyes shoot daggers at Drew. I watch as a sick smile forms on his face his short and stocky frame  plopping down onto a seat in the front. I quickly glance up at Four whose eyes are still trained like a guard dog on Drew before I gently shoving at his chest and take a seat.

It was almost thirty minutes until Christina and Lynn came in, and that was only 5 minutes before class, when they did they both looked over Four and I pitifully, even Lynn showed some trace of sympathy. Resting my head on the wall behind me I take a deep breathe letting the cool air fill my lungs to the max before exhaling slowly and shutting my eyes. This is going to be a long day.

                                                                                             +++

Halfway through the day. Only halfway. Lunch was completely and absolutely uneventful, unless of course you count the quiet stares and the hushed whispers of people debating on whether or not Four and I actually did it or not on camera. Rumors have spread like wildfire about really happened, and thanks to Lauren I get to hear all of them for example, some say we made a sex tape and it leaked, others say it was photo chopped, and my favorite of them was that it was a popularity stunt to get people talking about us once more.

Getting up to throw some trash away I watch as Four does the same and we silently walk through the cafeteria, each table we cross silence falls on them like rain. As soon as we reach the trash can I turn to Four, "I'm going to get some fresh air," and with a huff I storm out and Four has enough sense not to follow.

Shoving open the doors at the end of the hall that no one uses I collapse into the cold grass.  The early October air bites at my cheeks and I look out into the woods that surround this side of the school. I don't have to worry about anyone coming out this way because I know the only people that use these doors are the cross country runners and they don't come out until after school.

I slide over to the left of the doors and rest my body against the building looking up at the sky. It's cloudy and gloomy, as if it's already telling me my life sucks right now. My heart leaps out of my chest as I hear the doors open and the face I see makes me want to vomit. Without thinking I lunge straight for his throat, wrapping my small hands around his neck and tightening my grasp around his throttle cutting off all air supply.

I feel myself being shoved off of him and Jason hunches over gasping for breathe.
"WHAT THE HELL IS WRONG WITH YOU!?" I scream at him, "How dare you come out here after me!" I shout in his face feeling as if I might explode.
"You have to listen to me," he says between gasps.
"Why on earth would I do that," I growl lowly ready to pounce him once again and this time I won't let go of his throat, instead I'd keep my grip around him until his heart stopped and drop his body off in an alleyway.

"I didn't release that photo, I never planned on..." he's cut short by my palm colliding with his face. His head whips to the side and he turns his face back to me as if nothing happened, "Tris listen first! You have no reason to listen but if there's any sense of decency in you, you will listen," he says firmly.

"If there's any sense of decency in me?" I sneer, "Last time I checked I don't blackmail people with nudes! Or release fake photos of sex!" my voice screams and for a second I'm scared someone might hear. I can tell Jason fears the same thing cause he glances around hastily, "It said 'Looks like the stiff is having a little to much fun', Tris I'm a stiff I was an abnegation transfer just like you and Jesse, why would I call you a stiff?" he reasons.

"I don't know, maybe to cover it up like you are right now!" I shout crossing my arms at his sudden sense.
"Tris, I was never planning on releasing those photos, I just wanted to scare you for chasing away Jesse. I would never actually release them just over something as stupid as you dumping Jesse," I can tell that he's not lying but with every fiber in me I want to believe he's lying.

"You're only saying that because I have something on you now," I accuse and his eyebrows knit together in confusion.
"Tris, there's nothing you could have on me..." he laughs before I cut him off.
"I know you got the governor's wife pregnant," I say bluntly and his eyes turn icy cold and lock with mine.
"How do you know that?" he growls.
"It doesn't matter how I know it, it only matters that I know it," I say coldly, "You ruined my life, now I'm going to ruin yours."

"Tris please," I'm surprised to see the tears swell in his eyes and I want to believe it's an act, I won't let myself believe anything else. Something in me snaps though and I know I'm not thinking rationally on this one.
"Fine," I sigh and his eyes fill with hope, "You have to talk to Amar, not me." With that I walk out, not before catching the look of complete and utter fear in his eyes at the name. He must know that Amar knows he's the one who had the photos to begin with, and Amar might not be as understanding and considerate as me.