Chapter 48: Shady Figure Part 2

I sprint down the stairs as fast as I can.
"Kaya!" I scream, "Kaya!"
"Tris can you keep it down?" My mother calls to me but I hardly acknowledge her. My whole family could be in danger if this man comes near us again.

I grab a gun strap and strap it around my thigh while putting an extra gun in my waistband. I pray to God Caleb doesn't come down or he'll know something is wrong. I even grab a knife belt out of all of my paranoia.

I grab Kaya and Sinna the two half wolf half German Shepherds, I hope that man won't hurt them, but if he is out there they'll find him before I do, and he'll find me before I find him. I open the front door and the dogs sprint out like they normally do.

I sit there as I feel my heartbeat increase more and more. It's dark out and the sky is covered in stars, what a beautiful sight for a horrible night. I know I can make it to the Eaton's door, I just have to sprint. But something holds me back, I don't know what, I just can't get myself to run across the two yards.

What if he's out there? Waiting in the dark for me to come out. I click the gun and am ready to sprint.
1
2
3

My legs move so fast I'm at the Eaton's door before I can comprehend any of it. I knock and ring the door bell. Glancing over my shoulder constantly, I feel so vulnerable standing here in the light of the porch while darkness could hide anyone. I hear something behind their house and feel my heart stop.

Then a low growl, Sinna comes out from behind the bush, her hair on end and teeth bared. She smells him, and knows he's here just as much as I do.

Then the door swings open to see a very pissed Marcus. He puts on a fake smile when he sees me.
"Beatrice!" He says through a smile.
"Um Mr. Eaton can I see Four I really need to see him," I say bouncing on the balls of my feet and looking begins me at the darkness.

"I'm sorry Four has gone to bed," he smiles.
"It's only nine o'clock?" I say.
"He wanted an early start tomorrow." Lies. I wanted to scream that in his face. I knew what he did to Four and I wanted to kill Marcus for it. I put on my best smile, "Please I really need him, I... I just need to talk to him for a little while, just five minutes," I plead.

"I'm sorry Beatrice but I really must be going," Marcus says and closes the door. I slowly turn around to be faced with the darkness, I keep thinking I see him, lurking around, but it can't be, the dogs would bark or chase him, anything.

I look back to my door and realize I left it open. What if he went in? My eyes widen and my hands shake uncontrollably. I sprint to the door and run inside screaming for the dogs once more. They both come running in and I shut the door and lock the bolts. If he got into our neighborhood through the gate then he could get into our house with little difficulty.

I glance around and everything feels off. My parents have probably gone up to bed and my brother will be reading or something in his room, leaving me all alone on the first floor, at least I hope I'm alone. The only lights that are on is the chandelier in the main entrance and the kitchen light which I can slightly see from where I am.

I slowly walk forward when I see a face in the window in the living room, starring right at me. I hold in the scream as I sprint upstairs as fast as I can. Everything feels wrong, I'm going mad I swear, I'm just paranoid. But what if I'm not? What if a Factionless has come for me? One of Jesse's relatives? An Italian gang member? Peter? All the people who have tried to kill me race through my mind and the list is almost unending.

I can't call Four, as much as I want to help him I can't, I can't even protect myself much less him. I can't get his sisters involved that will only put them in danger. I can't call Amar, he and Tori have been acting so strange, they are always watching everyone around me, as if constantly trying to find out if someone is trying to hurt me. Then again I could be imagining it all and I would make them as paranoid as me!

I can't call any of my uncles or aunts they'll tell Amar and Tori. My parents no, Caleb no, my friends are just as bad as Amar and Tori.

I feel completely helpless. I lock my door with Kaya in my room, Sinna went somewhere in my parents room. I pull out my gun again and hold it just for safe keeping. For once I despise having a big room. I glance in my bathroom for anyone, pointing my gun everywhere. As I neared my shower my hand started to shake and I was afraid I would accidentally pull the trigger.

I swipe the curtain away, nothing. My closet, nothing. Everything in my room is so erie, even when I look in my mirror I feel like I'll see him in it. The longer he's gone the more paranoid I am. Then I look out my window.

There he is. Standing in the same place as before starting at me. I point my gun at him through the window making sure he can see. His expression doesn't change he just continues to stare. I want to pull the trigger so bad. I open my mouth to say something, as if he could hear me. Then my mouth contorts and I just close it on the verge of tears.

Something about him is so unsettling, it makes me want to be with Peter, or even Jesse. At least I knew they had sense in them enough, they just wanted something from me, I knew my family and friends could stop them. But this man, this man is different, he makes me feel helpless, like no one can help me. It's just me and him, no one else is allowed in the fight.

Then I think of it. Or more like, I think of him.

Ben Eaton.