Chapter 5 (edited)

Present day January 2016

I didn't know until the reading of Christian's will that I was his sole beneficiary which meant that Sinclair Industries was mine.  I had been the CEO and President for almost two years now and to be honest I did a damn good job but I was tired of the responsibility of it all.  

I just wanted to be a regular employee there and work there like everyone else.  We were having our annual charity ball tonight at Sodo Park and I had it on good authority from my Finance department that there would be a number of people in attendance that would be good candidates to sell my company to.  

I already had legal draw up a tentative contract stating that all employees would retain their jobs, there would be no decrease in pay and most importantly I would be given a position in the company.  I left work early to go home and get ready and I had also sent out a company-wide memo to everyone allowing them to leave at 3 pm.

My dress was floor length, red in color, sleeveless with jeweled straps and a keyhole opening in the back.  I had always loved red but Christian would never allow me to wear that color.  I stood 5'7", light auburn hair that hung just below my bra strap, ample breasts, curvy butt, cute nose, natural lips and gray eyes. 

 It had taken a year of therapy, very intensive therapy, to realize that what I had gone through with Christian was not my fault and that I was a very beautiful woman, inside and out.  I had also made a break through in therapy with the fact that I truly loved Christian and for whatever reason I had missed him for a while.  Being truly alone was the hardest.  I had spent a lot of time with Brett and his girlfriend, Chloe.  

Chloe had been a Godsend to Brett; he'd met her when I was in the hospital.  She was an ER doctor therefore she helped him a lot in understanding what I had gone through, her thoughts on what caused Christian to be the way he was and she had encouraged us to remain close.  Even though Christian had passed we were still family.  My family had broken off all ties with me when they found out what Christian had done to me; they thought I should have just walked away but what they didn't realize was I couldn't at the time.

I took a long hot shower, washed and conditioned my hair, left it in a towel until I applied my makeup and then used the blow dryer to get it where I would put it into a simple but elegant loose bun.  My eyes were smoky and dramatic, a trick Chloe had showed me making it simple to do, light blush, tons of mascara and nude lip gloss.  I had a beautiful pair of diamond drop earrings and simple diamond choker for jewelry; I didn't wear my wedding set anymore, there was no need.  

I dropped my towel and studied my body.  I looked at my tattoo that went up my left side; all it said was Survivor in black cursive.  The physical scars and bruises had healed a long time ago but the internal ones were still there.  They had not allowed me to move on and pursue a meaningful relationship with a decent man.  My therapist's words, not mine.  I sighed and thought do I want a decent man?  

My assistant Monique had been trying to get me to come to this new club Pleasures that had just opened in downtown Seattle six months ago and I still hadn't gotten the courage to go out yet.  I had Googled the club and knew what they were all about.  Downstairs was a dance floor, bar, what you would see in a normal club but upstairs, the VIP area, was members only and was totally different.  Upstairs you could explore your fantasies, sexual or otherwise.  You could engage a man, woman, a couple, two men or two women or you could watch.  I shivered as it brought back memories of Christian.  I still hadn't decided yet about going but right now, no.

I was ready; just needed to grab my silver heels and clutch.  Picking up my purse, my phone vibrated.  My car was downstairs and ready.; I took one last look in the mirror and headed out the door hoping and praying I would meet someone tonight that I could do business with.

  "Good evening Ms. Chelsea" said my driver Douglas.  "Douglas how are you doing?" I asked.  "I'm fine m'am, just fine.  You look mighty pretty" he added.  I laughed a tinkling laugh.  "Douglas are you flirting with me?" I asked jokingly.  He shook his head and said "No m'am.  You know my wife would have my head."  

Mary was the sweetest and I knew how fond of me Douglas was and the feeling was mutual for his entire family.  Douglas slid into the driver's seat and waited for instructions.  "Well Douglas, on to Sodo Park please" I said.  He nodded and pulled the car smoothly from the curb.

I poured the tiniest shot of scotch just to loosen up; the amber liquid burned on the way down but I felt warm by the time it got to my stomach.  Soon they pulled up to the Sodo and Douglas was getting my door.  Oh joy, I thought.  The press never could pass up an opportunity to throw questions at me especially regarding Christian.  I'd always done a fantastic job of dodging those and politely redirecting them to other worthy topics.  

"Mrs. Sinclair, how are you feeling tonight?" one press member asked.  "I'm doing well Joy, thanks for asking.  This is an exciting event and as you know 100% of the proceeds will be going to the children's hospital for cancer and other childhood diseases.  This has been something close to my heart and it means so much to me to be able to hand over the check to such a worthy organization" I said professionally.  

"Mrs. Sinclair" a man spoke up this time.  "Yes Chris" I said pointing at him.  "How are you doing personally?"  I smiled and shook my head.  "Now, now Chris.  I will not answer questions about me.  Tonight is not about me.  So excuse me ladies and gentlemen.  I have a charity event to start.  Thank you and have a good evening." I hated them but they were a necessary evil so I tried to tolerate them.  I sighed as I went up the steps and thanked the door men for getting the door.  My assistant was waiting for me and filled me in on the speech and schedule for the evening.  "Let the games begin" I said smiling at her and we disappeared into the grand ballroom.