Chapter 54 (edited)

Adrian's POV

The sound of the machine grinding against the metal, scraping and clawing, crunching; it was more than we could handle but after an hour and twenty-seven minutes we finally heard "We've got her!" from the fire and rescue team; the police said the driver that hit Chelsea was under the influence and had cuts and bruises and that's it, they had already taken him to the hospital. 

They had put a neck collar on her, slid a backboard under her and sat her on a waiting gurney but they still wouldn't let us near her.

 "Chelsea, can you hear me? I need you to stay awake for me" the paramedic instructed. Jesus, this waiting was agony. They loaded her up in the ambulance and said one family member could ride; we told Monique to go and we would follow. 

Dad, Aiden, Uncle Marco and Aunt Sylvia were already at the hospital, so Duffy and I took off and followed the ambulance. I couldn't get over her vanity plate...BROKEN...this was my fault. If he and Aiden hadn't argued about Chelsea and if he hadn't been stubborn about staying at the club...if, if, if. He was driving himself crazy.

They finally arrived at the ER entrance and Duffy said he'd park the car and then come in; I nodded. I walked in to see my family already there; Aiden was pacing and wearing a hole in the carpet. Monique just glared at me and my dad pulled me aside and to ask what happened; I started to tell him when Bella had the audacity to show her face. 

"What the fuck are you doing here?" I hissed at her. She actually looked upset. 

"I heard what happened and I had to set the record straight. Adrian wouldn't give me the time of day; I walked in on him sleeping and he was showing me out when Chelsea saw us. I'm ashamed I didn't do anything to fix it." After explaining a few more things she said how sorry again she was and left.

Monique came over and immediately apologized. "Adrian I am so sorry I thought the worst of you." I gave her a sad smile. 

"It's okay, Mon. We'll fix this when she's better and comes home." She nodded, went and sat down next to my brother; my heart broke for him. I had to fix this, all of it and soon.  We were still waiting for the ER doctor to fill us in; I got tired of waiting so I went to nurses station to ask and was told it would be any moment now.  Sure enough a female doctor in scrubs came through the door looking for Chelsea's family.  Monique said everyone here was family.  

"I'm Dr. Cantu, the doctor on duty.  Ms. Sinclair has a severe concussion from hitting the driver's side window; it happened so quickly the airbags hadn't deployed yet.  This is the only injury that concerns us at this point.  She will be very sore; cuts, bruises, bruised wrist, superficial burns from the airbags, some bruising to her cheek from the side-impact airbag, hip and ribs.  It was lucky she didn't have a passenger, they would not have fared well.  She has been moved to a regular room; we will keep her overnight for observation and she can have visitors but be mindful that she is on some heavy duty painkillers.  Any questions for me?" the doctor asked.  We said no and she said a nurse would take us to her room shortly.

The sighs of relief could be heard in the room at the report from the doctor.  I noticed Monique get up and walk over to a young, professionally dressed man; she came over and introduced him as her boyfriend, Stellan Floyd.  

We shook hands and he seemed a real comfort to her and I was glad he was here for her; then an older couple came in and made their way to Monique, who motioned Aiden and I over.  

"Guys, this is Douglas and his wife, Mary; Douglas drives for Chelsea.  They've known her since she was fifteen" she said.  We shook hands with them and filled them in on Chelsea's condition; about that time a young nurse came out and said she was there to take us to Chelsea's room, so we followed her to another waiting room and then showed us where our girlfriend was.

We insisted that Douglas, his wife and Monique go first; they said they'd be back soon.  This would give me some time with Aiden.  

"Can we talk?" I asked as he looked up.  

He sighed and said "Sure.  Let's go out here."  I followed him to the now deserted and quiet hallway.  We both started to talk at the same time but I told him to go first.  

"Adrian I'm sorry.  You are the last person I want to fight with; it's been hell not having you to talk to.  I reacted the way I did because I'm still hurt over Bella and when you said you wanted to take that next step with Chels, I panicked" he said, his voice cracking with emotion.  

I just grabbed and hugged him for a moment, both of us patting each other's backs and sniffing.  We pulled away as he said for me to go next.  

"I understand you're hesitant, Aid, but she loves us and as hurt as she's been in the past she would never visit that kind of hurt on another person.  I want us back to the way we were.  I hate Bella more than I thought possible but I'm glad she spoke up.  Are you willing to work on us?" I asked, silently hoping for a positive response.  He slowly smiled and nodded; I let out a huge sigh of relief just as Monique came to find us.  

"She's in and out but she's asking for both of you," she said, her eyes red from crying. 

 I had to ask "Mon, does she know that I would never cheat on her?"  She nodded.  

"She knows and she's beating herself up over all of this.  Be patient with her; she also wants to go back to her apartment when she's released.  She just needs time, just give her a day or two.  She does love you both very much."   I felt somewhat comforted knowing this as we went to see our girl.