3

The second my alarm went off Monday morning, I knew something was different

The second my alarm went off Monday morning, I knew something was different. My blinds, which I usually leave open when I'm sleeping, were closed.

My dad is home from his trip.

Letting out a sigh, I turned off the alarm and got out of bed.

After a quick shower, I made my way back to my room to find something to wear.

Quickly changing into appropriate school attire, I straighten my hair as usual before making my way downstairs with my backpack.

"Good morning Daddy." I smiled at my dad as I walked into the kitchen.

He lifted his head and gave me half a smile. "Hey kiddo." He greeted and I walked around the counter to give him a kiss on the cheek.

"How was your trip?" I asked and he let out a sigh.

"Wasn't much of a trip, had to work most of the time." He muttered and I reached into the food pantry to grab a packet of pop tarts.

"Would you like some?" I offered and he shook his head before sipping his coffee.

"How was the case?" I asked before placing the pop tarts in the toaster.

His twisted in anger and his shoulders tensed.

He didn't win.

"How was your concert?" He asked, trying to change the subject.

"It was good, Mia is the one that likes Shawn Mendes but I went with her because she wanted to and I wanted something to do." I explained as I took my pop tarts out of the toaster.

"Where was it again?" He asked and I tried to keep the nerves away.

He makes me nervous when he asks too many questions.

"About a twenty-minute drive from here." I explained, making sure to pick my words carefully.

"And the concert ended at what time?"

"Ten o'clock." I answered too quickly. I should've said ten fifteen.

"So why weren't you home until ten forty?" He asked. I looked up at the security camera at the doorway of the kitchen and cleared my throat.

Because Mia wanted to try and take pictures with Shawn after the show.

"It was a pretty big show; it was pretty hard to get out of the parking lot. Then there was the traffic." I explained before grabbing my two pop tarts from the plate it was on and placing it on a paper towel.

"Do not lie to me Rosalee." He glared and I automatically flinched.

"You stayed out late and you didn't tell me about it." He added before standing and I let out an even breath.