18

TRIGGER WARNING

TRIGGER WARNING.

I am going to lose my mind.

"Are you finished with your homework?" My father asked and my left eye twitched in annoyance.

"Yes." I answered with a nod without looking at him.

It's been two weeks since my birthday.

Two weeks since I've come to the realization that I like possibly the worst person for me to like.

Two weeks since Katelyn's been here.

Two weeks since I've had some actual personal space form my father.

"And you already went to the gym?" He asked as I surfed through Netflix.

Doesn't he have a case to work on?

"I ran the pacer today, I'm not going to the gym." I told him and he gave me a single nod, still hovering in the doorway to the living room.

"Are you hungry?" He asked.

No, but I am annoyed.

"Not right now." I told him.

"Okay." He said but he didn't move from the doorway.

So, I turned to face him.

"Is everything okay with your current case?"

"Yes, I gave my client their options, my next step is based on their choice." He explained and I gave him a nod.

"Maybe you should go out for a little bit?" I suggested. "Since you finally have a break, just for a little bit."

Because I will lose my mind if he continues to pester me with questions.

"That doesn't sound too bad." He nodded. "It's been a while since I've had a beer with the guys." He added and I gave him a smile.

"Then call your guys and go out and have a beer." I told him and he smiled.

"I think I'll do just that. Thanks pumpkin." He said and he finally disappeared form the doorway.

Relieved, I finally returned to my Netflix browsing.

[0]

I felt him before I heard him.

The lights were off but I know he's across from me, watching me sleep while he sat on my futon.

"Dad?" I said in the dark.

"Dad?" He mimicked and the anxiety took over.

He's drunk.

When he left at five o'clock to go get a drink, he didn't return. Not even when I closed my door to go to sleep at 1 am.