13

The smell of biscuits invaded my senses and I took in a deep breath before letting out a content smile

Slipping away from my comforter, I made my way to my bathroom to brush my teeth.

Looking into the mirror, I noticed that my hair got wavy in my sleep and I let out a sigh.

I like it like this. It resembles my mom's wavy blonde hair.

But if I dared walked downstairs resembling my mother more than I already do, my father would put his scissors to good use.

Not wanting a haircut anytime soon, I gathered my long hair to one side and braided it to the side before making my way downstairs in my pajamas.

"Good morning." Jenifer smiled at me the second I stepped into the kitchen and my dad looked up from his laptop at me.

Katelyn was nowhere to be seen.

"Good morning." I offered before walking to the cabinet to grab the tea kettle but it wasn't in its usual spot.

I turned around to face Jenifer.

"Have you seen the tea-" I started but I stopped once I noticed it on the stove.

"Your dad told me you like tea." She smiled and I nodded.

"Thank you." I smiled before taking a seat at the island next to my dad.

"Honey, will you go wake up Kate? Breakfast is almost ready." Jenifer instructed and my father let out a sigh before standing up and walking out of the kitchen.

Jenifer placed a mug in front of me before placing a tea bag inside.

"Do you take sugar?" She asked and I shook my head no. She gave me a small nod before grabbing the tea kettle and pouring the hot water in.

There was a stretch of silence between us and I looked down at my tea before picking up the bag and dunking it in and out of the water.

"Thank you again for taking time out of your day to go to the mall today." She said and I looked up at her with a smile.

"It's not a problem at all." I said.

It's not like I really had a choice.

She gave me one more smile before opening the oven and taking out a tray that was covered with golden biscuits.

"I hope you like biscuits." She smiled and I frowned.

"I d-" I started but I didn't get to finish because Katelyn barged into the kitchen with excitement in her eyes.

"I smell biscuits." She said with a smile. I think this is the first time I've seen her smile towards her mother in a non-mocking kind of way.

"I made them fresh." Her mom smiled and my dad walked into the kitchen with a great grin on his face.