48

From the short ride from IHOP to my house, I bit off all of the fingernails on my right hand

From the short ride from IHOP to my house, I bit off all of the fingernails on my right hand. It's a nervous habit that hasn't happened in a really long time because my father hated it and I fought like hell to get rid of it.

Until now.

The nails in my left hand would have been gone too if Liam wasn't holding my hand and squeezing it every few seconds for reassurance.

I couldn't look at him.

My life was spiraling out of control and he was right in the middle of it. The worst part is, it's only going to get messier from here. The second I walk through my front door, there's a possibility that I might not make it back.

Liam talked to my dad. What did he say? What did my father say? What's going to happen next?

I went back and picked at my thumbnail until I felt a sting that told me that I had gone too far.

Liam turned into my street and my knee bounced up and down and he gave my hand a squeeze again.

"We're here," he muttered as if I wasn't staring at my father's license plate.

"Don't park behind him." I muttered, my first words to him since we got in the car from the restaurant. He pressed on the brake to stop himself from entering the driveway and he placed the car on the street.

The car wasn't even in park before the front door opened and my father stood in the doorway.

"Hmph." Liam grunted and I released his hand.

"Is Marcus on his way?" I asked. It's best if I get him out of here before my father loses control.

I want him to actually to believe that I will be fine. But if Liam sees dad in one of his anger episodes, he's not going to believe me.

"Yeah, I texted him when we left breakfast." He nodded before looking at my dad.

"Don't look at him. " I snapped and he turned his gaze to me. Concern flashed in his eyes and I cursed myself silently for my outburst.

"It's just rude to stare at other people when you're having a conversation." I muttered and he frowned a bit.

Yeah, I sounded crazy to my own ears.

I glanced at my father and he motioned for me to come inside. Here we go.

I unbuckled my seatbelt and Liam followed suit. He handed me my car keys and we stepped out of the car. He walked around the front and glance at my father before standing in front of me.

"You're going to call me right?" He asked and my eyes flickered to my dad. If my phone doesn't get take away. I nodded at Liam and I he took in a deep breath.