59

"Where are you going?" I asked Katelyn as I watched from her doorway as she slipped on her sandals

"Charles wants to go grab pizza." She shrugged and I raised an eyebrow at her.

"Today?"

"Yeah, you don't mind right?" She asked and I frowned.

"Why would I mind?" I asked. Other than the fact that he had asked me to grab pizza with him this specific Friday and I had declined him harshly.

"Well I don't want you to think that I'm trying to steal your dad." She frowned and my heart clenched at the look of vulnerability that was evident on her face.

She wants this. She wants this relationship with our dad. She doesn't say it out loud and sometimes she acts like she doesn't care but she has been wanting this her whole life.

I just wish that it was another man that was her father.

"You're not stealing anything away," I clarified. "He's your father too."

She gave me a small smile before going to her desk and grabbing her cross body purse. We made our way downstairs where dad and Jenifer were in the kitchen.

"Rose what do you say to us having a movie night?" Jenifer asked once the two of us walked in. Before I could answer, dad chimed in.

"Rose needs to stay here and have a quiet night in." He said and I looked up at him. The silent warning was very evident in his eyes. This was a punishment for speaking out. For me telling him the truth and declining his offer to pizza.

"There are some things on my desk in my office that I need her to look over." He finished before looking at Jenifer. "Come grab some pizza with Kate and me."

"What? I'm not leaving her here by herself." She protested.

"It's okay Jen, I need to go over the things that dad has left me." I told her and she gave me a hesitant frown. I gave her a reassuring smile and she let out a defeated sigh.

"Okay,"

The made their way towards the door and I tapped dad's elbow to hold him back.

"I understand your distaste for me but please don't channel that towards Katelyn." I told him. "She's doing her best to let you in despite the ginormous wall she has built around her heart. So, please don't play with her emotions just to get back at me."

He didn't say anything for a moment. I was beginning to think that he was waiting for me to walk away for him to leave but he looked down at me before speaking.

"Once you're done in my office, call me." He replied. "That is not a suggestion, don't test me, call me when you are done."

I nodded and without acknowledging my previous statement, he left. With a sigh of frustration, I made my way towards his office.