42

"Rosie!" Mom shouted after me

Ignoring her, I steped inside the store and made my way towards the candy.

I've been here before, I know exactly where it is.

"Rose?" Mom shouted at the front of the store.

Ignoring her again I grabbed at a Hershey chocolate bar for dad and a Snickers bar for mom.

"Rosalee get over here." Mom ordered I turned towards her voice.

She only calls me Rosalee when she's serious.

"Please." She said quietly and I frowned.

"I'm sorry, I was buying candy for you and daddy." I apologized.

"You shouldn't have stepped in here lady."  Another voice said and I stepped into his view.

He had on a hat and sunglasses and there was a gun in his hand.

"Ah shit you got a kid!" He shouted and mom stepped in front of me and she grabbed onto my arm, holding tight.

"Mommy."

"Please, just let us go." Mom begged and she took a step towards the door with me behind her.

"Don't move!" The man shouted and I flinched at his loud voice.

"Just let me take her out of here." Mom begged and I started crying.

"I wanna go." I asked and the man held onto the back of his head before groaning.

"You're going to call the police and I'll go to jail again." He said and mom's grip on my arm tightened.

"No." He shook his head. "I have to kill you. Like I killed the cashier. I have to do it." He said and I sobbed.

"Shh, baby." Mom cooed.

[0][0][0]

A phone ringing woke me up suddenly and completely disoriented.

Squinting for a moment, I reached over and grabbed for my phone but stopped.