38

"Rosie!"

"Rosie!"

I wiped the sea water away from my eyes before looking at my mom. 

"Come dry off so you can grab some lunch." She smiled.

I wasn't hungry.

"In a little bit." I told her before returning to the water. I placed my goggles back on before going under.

I wanted to find the perfect sea shell.

But my lungs can only hold me underwater for so long.

"You let her do whatever the hell she wants?" Dad asked and I turned to face him.

"She's not hungry Charles, do you want me to force feed her?" Mom asked with her arms crossed and I frowned.

She's angry.

Why is she angry? She loves the beach.

"Right now she needs to follow orders. She needs to be disciplined and you're not doing that." Dad said, his voice raising in anger.

Why is he angry?

"Oh, because you would know about parenting?" Mom asked. "It's not like you abandoned and ignored the entire existence of one of your children and you fail to love the one that's in front of us." She snapped and I stood up and ran towards them.

I don't like it when they fight.

"Mom, I'm ready to eat." I told her with a smile. She turned her attention away from my dad before smiling down at me.

"Are you sure? I don't want your stomach to explode with too much food. So you have to make sure that you're actually hungry." She told me and I laugh.

"My stomach can't explode." I said before before she walked to the cooler to grab my lunch.

"Can it?" I asked dad.

"I don't know, Rosalee." He shrugged before walking to his chair and sitting down.

"Here you go sweetheart." Mom handed me my lunchbox with a cup of lemonade. I watched her walk over to dad and she sat down next to him.

I took a seat on my beach towel and started eating.

"I can't continue to do this." Mom said with sad eyes.

"Rosie and I will stay on the west coast and you're going to go to North Carolina and deal with this, Charles." She said and I frowned.

I know I'm not allowed to listen to adult conversations but I am confused.

Mom looked over over at me with a smile and I gave her a toothy grin as I chewed my peanut butter and jelly sandwich.