2. Scholarship & Slow breaths

Although I've already seen the whole thing, twice, I decided to get up and see everything again. I walked aimlessly, turning off the world around me and started looking around. I absolutely loved what my aunt Meg would paint, it was always very colorful and mostly abstract. Although I was strongly moved by my aunt's art, mine was really different from hers. That's the thing about artist, their art resemble their mind. So her art resembled her personality, while my art resembled mine.

Or at least it used to.

I was taken out of my thoughts as a hand rested on my shoulder. I turned my head to be greeted with a cheery smile and bright green eyes.

"Anna! Finally off that bench I see!"
"Very funny Meg" I rolled my eyes, fighting my smile.
"Come." She said as she took my hand. "I have someone I want you to meet."

I followed her silently. She was probably going to introduce me to some other artists. She knew that I was having trouble painting lately and she's been sending me images, songs, other artist's paintings and anything really, to give me inspiration. I watched my aunt walk in front of me and couldn't help but smile at her.
She had short brown hair just below her ears. Her silhouette was tall and lean but somehow she radiated confidence and generated respect among others. She always had a smile on her face and always had something nice to say. To me she was a second mother. Well right now, she was acting more like a mother to me than my actual mother.

I was a bit surprised when we stopped in front of a middle age man in a suit. Not the artsy type I expected, if I'm honest.

"Annabelle, this is Thomas Hills. Thomas, this is Annabelle, my niece."

Oh no.

"Hi." I said shyly as we shook hands.
"Thomas is the dean of the New York's School of Arts." My aunt continued and I nodded. I knew exactly who this man was.
"Very nice to finally meet you in person Annabelle. I've seen great things from you."
"Thank you."
"It's a shame that you turned down our offer for a scholarship. Of course after everything going on, we understood."

As he was talking, my aunt put an arm around my shoulder. She smiled down at me and I looked at her confused. What was going on.

"But your aunt told me that things have changed, and that you could, in fact, attend next semester."

What?

I stepped out of my aunt embrace and looked at her with a shocked expression. Her face was displaying a smile but I could tell her eyes were anxious. It took me a second before realizing that Mr. Hills was expecting an answer.

"I think there was a misunderstanding, Mr. Hills..."
"If you'll excuse us for a moment, Thomas." My aunt interrupted.
"Of course." He answered, clearly not at ease.

My aunt took me a couple of feet away. My heartbeat increased and I slightly started to shake. I knew this feeling all too well.

Not here, it can't happen here.

Meg turned around and opened her mouth to speak.

"What the fuck?" I said before she could even say anything.

Anger is good Anna. Concentrate on anger.

"Language." She scolded. "Annabelle... it's time to move on." She said, her tone much more gentle. I felt like I was a wounded animal that she was trying to pry.

"Enrolling in N.Y.S.A. won't help, Meg." I snapped.
"I'm pretty sure it will. You used to paint all the time, you told me once that it was therapeutic to you."
"I can't, Meg." My voice much less confident.
"You don't have to go full time, Anna. You could start with two or three classes and"
"I can't paint anymore, Meg." I interrupted her to clarify. "How am I going to pass my classes?" I asked upset that she was pushing it.
"It will come back. A change of scenery will help you, I'm sure."
"I won't..."
"One semester. It's all I'm asking. If you don't like it, you quit." She interjected.