40. Cold & Betraying

* Sorry i can't pick you up today. I'll call you tonight. Love you xx.*

I read Harry's text as I was stepping out of class. This was the first time since we had started dating that Harry wasn't there to walk me to my apartment and I couldn't help but to feel disappointed. I loved the fact that I got to see Harry everyday, but it seemed like today would be an exception.

Things were back to normal between the two of us. A little over a week had gone by since our argument and we were now doing great. At first things were a little awkward as we both tried to please the other and avoided any arguments we could have, but a couple of days later, everything fell into place. We were back to being the lovey-dovey couple that we were.

I used to cringe whenever I saw this kind of couple on the streets, now that I was one I understood. There was something in knowing that you had found someone that was just perfect for you, Harry was that person for me. He wasn't perfect per say but he sure was perfect for me.

I stepped into the chilly november weather and tightened my coat around me. The days had become much colder now, which was a sure sign that Winter was coming. A couple of months ago, I would've said that I feared the coming of Winter, because it meant holiday seasons and with my family being torn apart, it was something I dreaded. But things had settled recently. During my last weekly call with my mom, she had announced to me that she would be out of rehab for the holidays and that she would be coming to New York for the occasion. She seemed much happier than the last time we had seen each other and I knew that I owed it to her rehab center. She seemed to see things more clearly and I was incredibly happy to see this change in her.
I was feeling much better too. Now that things with Harry were fine and I was slowly concluding my mourning, the holidays didn't seem like a bad thing after all.

I smiled mindlessly as I walked home. It felt so strange to go down the road that Harry and I generally used, so I decided to take another route. I knew that it would take me an extra ten minutes but it somehow felt wrong to take the normal route. It was something Harry and I did and I would keep it this way. I also didn't really mind taking a little more time to get home, even if the temperature was cold, I liked being outside and breathing in the fresh air.

I ended up on streets that I rarely went on and it made my trip a thousand time more interesting. It felt as if I was discovering a new part of town and I took in every details of the street. I wasn't paying attention to what was happening and when a hand rested on my shoulder, I jumped and turned around in surprise, ready to scream. But as I realized who it was, my body relaxed a little. My heart slowed down and I exhaled in relief.

"Zayn, oh god you scared me," I said as I put a hand over my heart as if it would help it calm down.
He retracted his hand and he looked at me with sorry eyes. "Sorry, I didn't mean to. I called your name and you didn't hear me, I just wanted to get your attention."
"You did?" I asked. I hadn't heard him at all. "Sorry."
He chuckled lightly and the corner of his eyes crinkled the way Harry's eyes did. "It's okay. How are you?"
I smiled back. "I'm good," I said as I tucked my hair behind my ear. "How about you?"
"Great. How is school?" he asked with a hint of sarcasm in his tone. I remembered him saying that he didn't believe in art school and I could clearly see it now.
I rolled my eyes humorously and he smiled. "It's good, really good."
"Well, that's ... nice," he said, faking disgust.

We both laughed before standing in front of each other awkwardly.

"Do you live around here?" he ended up asking me.
"I live a few blocks down actually. You?"
"Nah, I'm from the other side of the city, but I like coming here." He shoved his hands in his pocket and rounded his shoulder, shielding himself from the cold. "It's freezing here. Do you want to grab a coffee?"