7. Phone call & Doubts

It’s been fifteen minutes that my phone hasn’t stopped ringing and I haven’t moved a finger to answer it. I know that it’s Meghan and that she wants to know if I’m home safe. Or at least that was what she wanted when she first called, but since I didn’t answered, she was probably worried now. If I answered her now, she will ask what happened. Although I’ll tell her that I forgot to call her, that I left my phone in my room, or whatever lie I can come up with, she’ll hear the tone of my voice  and know that something is wrong. So I decided stay in my bed and ignore it.

But now, after fifteen minutes of non-stop ringing, the sound is getting to my nerves and I consider answering. What am I going to say to her? Oh yeah, I’m home. Mom forgot to pick me up because she was drunk and passed out on Daisy’s bed.
I don’t know if she knows that ever since Daisy past away, mom has had a drinking problem. I’m pretty sure she doesn’t since my mom had closed herself off to everyone around her. I guess losing your favorite child does that to you.

As I sit up in my bed, my phone stops ringing. Fantastic. Couldn’t that happen sooner? Now I’m not only sad but also irritated. I still walk to my dresser to pick up my phone. There are too many calls from Meghan to count. I unlock my phone and send her a text.

*I’m home safe, don’t worry.*

I hope that it will be enough to make her stop calling. I put my phone back on my dresser and walk towards my bed. Right before I lied down on my bed again, my phone ringed. I went back to my dresser and answered.

“What?” I said flatly, assuming it was Meghan. I didn’t have the energy to pretend I was okay. I was exhausted and simply wanted to get this over with.
“Someone’s in the mood” a masculine voice said on the other end of the line.
“Harry?” I questioned.
“Yeah, am I bothering you? Is that why you won’t answer my texts?” he sounded unsure.
“Am I supposed to answer your texts right away? I’m sorry that I have other things going on.” I sarcastically answered.
“No… I… I was just worried.” I close my eyes. He’s hurt and I hate when he’s hurt.
“Why?” I couldn’t hide my surprise.
“I just had a bad feeling. I don’t know, it’s silly. Forget about it.” He shyly mumbled.

I stayed silent on the other line. Once again, I had this warm feeling inside of me. Every time that Harry had shown some signs that he cared, although it had happened only twice by now, it made me feel a bit better. Right now it wasn’t enough to make me smile, but it was  enough to make me not want to give up on everything.

“Are you still there?” Harry asked after a while.
“Yeah” I said as I layed back down on my bed.
“Be honest with me, Annabelle. Am I bothering you? If you want me to leave you alone, just say it.”
“You’re not bothering me.” I simply said. It was true though. He asks too many questions and laughs too much, but he doesn’t bother me. I don’t think he ever will. “I’m sorry that I was rude to you.” I apologized.
“It’s alright. Are you okay?” he sounded worried.
“I’m fine” I sighed.

I couldn’t count the number of time I said that without meaning it. I wasn’t fine, I was far from fine. I felt like screaming, crying and hitting someone, all at the same time.

Apparently, Harry knew better. “You want to talk about it?”
“Not really, no.” I shook my head although he couldn’t see me.
“Do you want me to pick you up?”
“I’m not in New York anymore.”
“What?"
“I’m back home, in Providence.”
“Oh… I didn’t know you were leaving today. In fact I didn’t know you were leaving New York.” He sounds disappointed.

I am too, if I would have been in New York, I would be fine. Even if I wasn’t fine, Harry would’ve picked me up and he would be making loads of comments that he would think are funny and I would end up laughing with him because it seems like recurring pattern with him.

“Yeah.” I can’t hide my disappointment either.
“Are you coming back?”

That was the plan this morning, but now that I see how my mom is feeling, I wasn’t so sure anymore. She might say that I’m not enough, she might treat me like absolute shit, but I knew that being totally alone wouldn’t do any good to her. She wasn’t always like this but I guess that the whole situation with Daisy took a toll on her.

I was her punching bag, not physically, but psychologically. It was her way of dealing with things and I would much rather have her yell at me than drink herself to numbness.
I could take it, and I would until I got my loving mother back.

“I was supposed to, I don’t know anymore.”
“Oh.” he replies. ” Is this part of what you don’t want to talk about?”
“Yeah.”
“Can I do something?”
“Not really, no.”
“I’m sorry.”
I sadly smiled. “It’s not your fault.”
“I know, but I wish I could help you.”

I sighed and ran a hand through my hair. How could he say such things.

“Why do you care so much?”
“Do I need a reason?” he retorted.
“You barely know me…” my answer is weak. I’ve said this to him more than enough, but it seemed like to him it didn’t matter that we didn’t know each other three days ago. Maybe it shouldn’t matter.
“I know, that’s why I text and call you. I want to know you better.”
“You’re weird.” I stated.
“ I am not!” he faints being offended and I laugh a little. I hear him laugh too and it relaxes me a little.
“Thank you.” I whispered.
“Why?”
“For making me laugh.”
“Annabelle.” His voice was low and it made my breathing stop. “I don’t know what is wrong, but please know that it will be okay.”

I couldn’t hold it, I silently started to cry. I didn’t know if he could hear me but he stayed silent and I was grateful that he wasn't commenting on it.

He doesn’t know, he can’t say that it will be okay. I’ve heard that to many time.

Don’t worry, Annabelle, it’s just a headache, it’s okay. She just needs to stay in the hospital for the night, it’s going to be okay, Anna. Don’t worry about Daisy, she’s strong, it will be okay.

Lies. Every time it was a lie, a fucking lie that I was tired of hearing. Things aren’t always okay. Sometimes life simply sucks and there’s nothing you can do about it. Not everyone gets to live a long and happy life.

“You shouldn’t care Harry,” My voice was shaking but I kept going, “caring is exhausting, it will wear you out and you’ll get tired of it.”

I somehow understand him now. For some strange reasons I can’t explain, just like he cares about me, I care about him.
I don’t want him to get hurt and I know that caring about me will do just that. I know that I’ll push him away and I’ll hurt him somehow. I’ve become a pessimist and as far as I know, he’s an optimist. He probably thinks that he can help but in the end,  I’ll drag him down with me and I don’t want that for him.

“You say that now because you’re sad, but it will get better.” he persisted.
“It never gets better, Harry. That’s the problem. Things seem to get worse everyday.”
“I know it seems like I’m feeding you cheesy inspirational lines but that’s the way life is. Things go wrong, you get pulled back, but it won’t always be this way.”

I didn’t answer, I’ve had enough of this conversation.

“I promise you, Annabelle.”
“Don’t.” I snapped.
“No, I do.” he insisted. “I promise things will get better, I’ll make sure of it.”
“Stop it. You can’t promise things like that. Promises -”
“Promises aren’t made to be broken.” he interrupted “I always keep my promises, Annabelle.”

Just like me.

I grunted. “You’re really stubborn. You can’t say I didn’t warn you, you’re taking a risk.”
“What can I say, I’m a badass.” he lightly chuckled and I just huffed. “Are you doubting me?” he challenged me.
“ I wouldn’t dare.” I said as I rolled my eyes.
“Don’t roll your eyes.” he commands.
I frowned. “Okay, that’s really creepy.”
“You think I don’t know you, but with every seconds I talk to you, I figure you out a bit more.” he lightly laughed.
“I don’t like that.”
“I know.” he chuckles.

For an hour, Harry kept teasing me about random stuff and for the rest of the night the dark clouds that were hovering me since I came back home were kept away.

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

Hi babes!
I know this is quite short but it felt like it was a natural place to end the chapter. The other chapter is halfway done so you won't have to wait a whole week for another update. I'll update as soon as it's done :)

Thank you all for reading, commenting and voting for this story it means so much (I keep saying that, but it's true!)

Love you all!
Karry xx.