26. Shoulder & Back of the Hand

Annabelle's POV

I slowly made my way back to the apartment, thinking over and over about what I was going to tell Harry. Even if I had the determination to tell him, putting everything in words and saying them out loud wasn't easy. I didn't know where to start, I didn't know how much details I was supposed to tell him and I didn't know if I wanted to straight up tell him everything or if I wanted him to ask questions that I would answer. It was all so stressful.

There was also the uncertainty of his reaction and the constant fear of being abandoned again, that lingered at the back of my mind. Would he understand or would he say that I'm exaggerating? Would he accept me anyway or would he treat me differently? I didn't know and it scared me.

So many questions floated around the conversation I was about to have with him and it scared me more than anything. Even if, from the beginning, I kept telling myself to keep some distance with him, Harry had become someone very important to me and the simple thought of waking up without him in my life sent shivers through my body. Now that I knew what a life with Harry in it was like, I didn't want to live a single day without him.

Once I made it to my apartment, I stood outside of the door and took in a deep breath. I knew that on the other side of that door stood the boy that had got my heart beating, that made me live again and that what would happen in the next few hours would determined if we would make it or break it.

I reached for the door handle and noticed that I was shaking. My nerves were getting the best of me but I needed to be strong. I've had enough of crying and self pitying Anna. I wanted to be different, I wanted to get over it.

I opened the door and my eyes immediately landed on Harry. His elbows were resting on the counter and he was holding his head in his hands. The muscles in his back were tense, and even if he wasn't facing me, I could tell that he was frowning. As he heard the door close behind me, his head lifted up in my direction and he looked at me. His face showed both relief and fear. Surely he was glad that I was back, but he didn't know what was going to happen and that scared him.

"Hi," I shyly said. "Sorry I took so long."

I gave Harry a small smile. "It's fine."

He stared at me, trying to gauge my mood but as I kept smiling at him, he smiled back. We stayed in place, the two of us just looking at each other with a smile on our face. I was incredibly happy to see him, and the simple sight of him lifted a weight off of my shoulders.

From the corner of my eyes, I saw Meghan roll her eyes and go into the kitchen, but I ignored her.

"Have you eaten yet?" I asked Harry as I put my bag down and walked to him.

"I drank coffee, but I haven't eaten no," he replied and I took a seat. "You?"

I shook my head. "No."

"Do you want to go and eat somewhere?" Harry suggested.

"Yeah, sounds like a good idea."

I smiled at him, again, unable to control it. Being with him always had this effect on me, but now that I was ready to take our 'relationship' to another level, it was overwhelming. Even if it was incredibly nerve wracking, it was also relieving.

He smiled back, as if he was thinking the same thing.

It surprised me. I know that it shouldn't surprise me, but it did. He was still here with me, he hadn't ran off after my meltdown.

I don't think I could ever get over how much he liked me, and I could never understand why I wouldn't accept it. He tried to tell me his true feelings for me yesterday, but I wouldn't hear it. Even if my head was a little bit clearer, I wouldn't want to hear it again right now. It was not something I was ready for. I already had a hard time accepting the fact that he cared, let alone have feelings for me.