25. Admitting & Changing

Harry's POV

The bed felt too cold and my arms weren't holding anything. I stretched my arms and legs before turning on my stomach and digging my face into the pillow that I had been sleeping on. It smelled like her, a sweet floral scent. I took in a deep breath before opening my eyes. I was alone.
Yesterday's event slowly started to come back to me. Once I had laid down next to her, she almost immediately fell asleep. I, on the other hand, fought it as long as I could, so that I could enjoy the feeling of having her in my arms. I regretted it now. Not holding her, but staying up late, because I was exhausted. However, no matter how hard I tried, I couldn't fall back asleep without her next to me.

I wasn't really surprised, I actually expected Anna to be gone when I would wake up. She probably regretted asking me to stay for the night and was probably already plotting a way to kick me out. I grunted and got out of bed, ready to face her wrath.
I walked out of the room, my feet dragging. It was too early to fight with Anna. But as I walked through the apartment, I realized that she had straight out left the apartment. As I stepped out into the kitchen, the last room left, I wasn't greeted by the amazing girl I had grown to love like I wished, but by her aunt Meghan. Needless to say that she seemed surprised to see me too.

"Harry?"

I scratched the back of my neck nervously. This was extremely awkward.

"Hi Meghan," I greeted her.
"Did you sleep here?" I couldn't figure out if she was angry or surprised.
"I did," I replied. "But nothing happened. We just slept." I was quick to explain. I didn't want her to have the wrong impression, although it was probably already too late. What else can you assume when you see a boy walk out of a girl's room.
"Anna let you sleep with her?" I nodded. "Wow."

Her eyes widen and she took a sip of her coffee. I didn't dare to get closer to her. Even if Meghan wasn't Anna's mom, I knew that her opinion mattered a lot to Anna and that if she disapproved of me, it would be another thing to fight against, and it was the last thing I needed.
We already had a friendly relationship, but that could easily change for the worse if I was to say the wrong things. She had to know how serious I was about Anna and I.

"I hope that's okay with you," I asked. "You have to know that I love and respect Anna, and that I wouldn't do anything to..."
"Love?" she interrupted me.
I nodded again, nervously fumbling with the bottom of my shirt. "Yes. Love."
"Did you tell her?"
"Yes. Yesterday."
"Uh."

She stayed silent which made me more anxious. Even if we entertained some sort of friendly relationship, Meghan was such a strange character, you could never tell what she was thinking, or at least I couldn't. She was unpredictable.

"Well, that explains a lot." I looked at her with confusion and she kept going. "The tension yesterday, I mean. I'm surprised she didn't kick you out of here."
"She tried." I replied with a small smile.
"She would." She smiled too. "She keeps pushing the people that care about her away ever since - "

She stopped talking suddenly and her eyes widen, as if she was scared to have said too much.

"Every since what?" I asked before I could think about it.
Meghan became serious. "It's not my place to say."
"I understand that," I sighed. "But I'm trying to help her. She won't tell me what is wrong and it keeps me from doing that."

Meghan stayed silent and looked at me.

"She said she was going to tell me today, but I know that she'll try and find a way to get out of this. The simple fact that she isn't here right now proves just that. I know that this is a lot to ask, but I just really want to make her happy, and I feel like knowing what is troubling her so much would help me do that."
"The reason she's not here right now has nothing to do with you," she tried to reassure me.
I slowly made my way to the counter and leaned on it. "Where is she then?"
"Probably at the park."
"Why?"

It wasn't even nine in the morning, why would Annabelle be at the park at this hour?

Meghan shook her head and sighed. Although she knew that my intentions were good, she knew that telling me would be like betraying Anna. As much as I respected her loyalty to her niece, the situation was eating at me. I ran a slow hand through my hair to try and smooth the tension I was feeling.

"She's on the phone," she vaguely answered.
"She couldn't call from here?"
"She usually wants some privacy," Meghan explained. "She shouldn't be long Harry, don't worry."
I sighed. "That's the thing, I can't help but to worry."

Meghan got up from her seat, but I didn't look up, too bothered by Anna to focus on anything else. I heard some rattling in the kitchen and a minute later, a warm coffee was in front of me.

"Just drink and relax, Anna will be back soon."

I silently thanked her and drank a sip of the black coffee. I wasn't one to drink black coffee, but right now, with my nerves acting up, I couldn't care less.