17. Confusion & Cake

Hand in hand, Harry and I walked in silence to the apartment. It wasn't as awkward as I thought it would be. Somehow, silence with Harry was comfortable. We had talked a lot in the afternoon and it seemed like now, we were simply enjoying each other's company.
He followed me as I tried to figure out my way to the apartment, and he sometimes corrected me.

"How come you know better than me how to get to my place?" I teased him.
"I know your aunt," he stated, "her and my father are friends."
"Oh, right. I forgot"
He looked down and smiled at me. "You'll eventually know how to get to your place."

He silently laughed while I shoved him playfully. It made him laugh even harder.

"Stop laughing at me," I pouted, "it's not nice."
"But you're funny." he whined.

I looked up at him, he had his lips in a thin line and his eyes were dancing with amusement. I stared at him for a second, loving the way he looked when he was happy. I quickly looked ahead to avoid behind caught staring.

We arrive at the complex a couple of minutes later. We went inside of the elevator and I pressed the button to my floor. Again, we were silent, but this time I was nervous. The confidence I had earlier was slowly fading away.

The elevator door opened, I took in a deep breath and went to my door to unlock it. Once we entered the apartment, my eyes landed on Meghan who was sitting on the couch reading and drinking a glass of wine. I had somehow completely forgotten that she would be home.

She lifted her gaze to us, and her eyes landed on Harry and I's intertwined hands. I immediately released his hand but not fast enough. Meghan suddenly smiled like the Cheshire cat but I looked at her, pleading with my eyes for her to keep her mouth shut.

"Oh, hi guys!" she said in the most unnatural tone.

I shifted on my feet and looked at the floor.

"Hi Meghan." Harry replied for both of us. "Anna simply wanted to show me her paintings. Hope you don't mind that we're here."

I looked up at Harry with surprised eyes and he looked at me with confusion. Although I was surprised that he was so at ease, what got me the most was the fact that it was the first time that he had called me Anna, and the sound of my name on his lips was divine. I wanted to hear him say it over and over again.

"Not at all." she replied smiling. "I'll be right here if you two need me."

I rolled my eyes and walked quickly to my room, Harry on my trail.
I switched on the lights and threw my bag on my bed, while Harry stood at the door. I looked back at him confused.

"Are you okay?"
"Yeah, I just... Are you mad?"
"What?"

I sat down on my bed, both hands lying next to me. Why would he think that?
He carefully closed the door and rested his back against the wall.

"I don't know," he sighed, "you just looked at me weirdly a minute ago... and you always seem to be mad at me."

His eyes stayed on me and I blushed. He had completely misinterpreted my look but I didn't want to tell him what it actually meant.

"I don't remember being mad at you today..." I reminded him, trying to make a joke to lift his mood, "So I would say that 'always' is an exaggeration."

He rolled his eyes at me, but I knew that he wasn't upset with me. He actually seemed nervous, and that reassured me, I wasn't alone in this. He looked around my room and his eyes landed on my painting. He looked at me and pointed at it.

"You did that?" He asked and I nodded. "Wow."
"The surprise in your tone is almost offensive."

He threw his head back as he laughed.