22. Shoulder Blade & Glossy Eyes

Harry's POV

Meeting her was the best and worst thing that ever happened to me.
Everything changed the second I laid my eyes on her. She lit up my world but she also darkened it. She was like shattered glass, beautiful but broken. I got curious, what had made her this way? What could have possibly happened to her so that she would look so damaged? I wanted to see her smile, I wanted to hear her laugh and when I did, there was no turning back. I was mesmerized and determined. I wanted to pick up the pieces and put them back together. I wanted to see her shine like she used to before.

People always told me to stay away from broken glass because I might get cut, but with her, I didn't care. I wanted to see her smile, and I was selfish enough to want that smile to be because of me. I didn't care if it meant that I would get cut along the way, I felt as if her presence could heal any wound.

I had seen her glow all week, shyly smiling when I wasn't looking and genuinely laughing at my jokes, all of it felt better than anything I had ever experienced. I thought that I had succeeded in putting the pieces together. Her laugh was music to my ears. I thought we had reached a point where we were okay. But that was until fifteen minutes ago.

I had thought that bringing her daisies would make her happy. I thought that she would see that I cared, that I paid attention to details. But it completely backfired, and I don't know why. I didn't understand her reaction at all.

Was it something I said? Somehow I knew that it wasn't. Her reaction was too big to be because I had said that I had a surprise. At some point, she mentioned something about 'Daisy', who seemed to be a person. I had no idea who it was, but I knew something bad had happened to her. I was slowly learning new things about Annabelle that explained the way she acted.

Even if she remained a complete mystery to me, I knew that I had feelings for her. I couldn't imagine why she wouldn't tell me more about her, because I don't think there is anything that could make me leave her. I've gotten addicted to her: her eyes, her smile, her laugh, but also her personality. She's shy smart, and I love her artist side. Every minute with her felt like a blessing.

I had spent the whole week with her, but every time I left, it never felt like I had spend enough time with her. If it were up to me, I would spend every hour of the day with her. I would show her around town, I would bring her to my place, I would stay with her while she painted. Everything seemed fun, as long as she was there.

Everyday, I had torn down bits of her wall, allowing her inner light to shine through the cracks. Even in such small quantity, they dazzled me and left me breathless.
I found it ridiculous to like her so much after such a short period of time, but it happened and there was nothing that I could do about it.

I was still holding Anna in my arms. Her cries had faded and she was silent, to a point where I thought that she had fallen asleep. When I lifted my chin to see if she was, she quickly hid her face in my shoulder and I held her tighter. She mumbled something in my shirt that I didn't understand.

"What did you say?"

She deeply sighted before moving her head away.

"I said: you should go before Meghan comes home."

I rolled my eyes. Of course she would try to make me go again. After all these times that I told her I wouldn't, she still tried. But again, she told me numerous times that she didn't want me and I still stayed. But it was different, I meant it, she didn't.

Instead of letting her go and leaving, I held her tighter and dragged her to her room. She didn't complain and stayed completely silent, proving me right; she didn't actually wanted me to go.
Once we reached her room. I released her and she walked directly to her bed. I closed the door behind us and turned around. She was already under the covers, her back to me. I stood in silence for a couple of minutes, unsure if I should follow her or if I should just sit and wait.