41. Honesty & Compromise

My walk to Harry's apartment was dreadful. I kept checking my phone, expecting some sort of text from him but I never got anything. I wasn't even sure that he was at home, but I took a chance. It was the only place I knew where he could possibly be.

On my way there, I played a variation of scenarios and tried to come up with something that would make things okay between us. I knew I was responsible for this one, that it wasn't Harry's fault, and I needed to be the one to fix it. I hated myself for being so stubborn and not listening to him, but still, I didn't regret spending time with Zayn. That was something I had to be honest about, even if it might cause jealousy on Harry's end, he had to know that I had enjoyed it and that I didn't think he was such a bad guy. My intention wasn't to make Harry jealous, there was nothing to be jealous about anyway because Harry was still the one and only, but I wanted to keep Zayn as a friend.

I arrived at Harry's door and knocked. Almost immediately Harry's father opened it and he smiled as he saw me.

"Hi Annabelle," he greeted me.
"Hi, Mr. Styles. Is Ha-" I stopped talking as I heard someone rushing downstairs.
"Dad don't open the-"

Harry stopped dead in his track as he saw me in the doorway. We stared at each other, completely ignoring his father. While his face portrayed the hurt and anger I was creating in him, I hoped that mine didn't show the impact of his previous words on me. Even if I knew he didn't want to see me, the fact that he was trying to avoid me shattered my heart.

"I-I uh... I should go," I said as tears threatened to fall. I detached my eyes from Harry and quickly turned around.

Stupid, stupid, stupid, I kept repeating to myself. I had to fµck things up with the one person that I couldn't do that with. I needed Harry, no matter how strong-headed I was, I knew that I needed him with me. I was stupid for hurting him and making him hate me.
No matter how unjustified I thought it was, I knew he didn't like me being with Zayn and I did it anyway, without talking to him about it until it was already done. I should've tried to reason with him, make him more opened to the idea, but instead I just did it without thinking about the consequences, without thinking about someone else than me.

By the time I reached the sidewalk, I was fully crying and there was nothing I could do to stop the tears.

"Anna."

A hand grabbed my arm and made me turn around. Green eyes met mine and I immediately looked away. I didn't move. Part of me wanted to run, that's what I always did, run away from everything and everyone, but at the same time I remembered that I had promised Harry I wouldn't run anymore. Whether that promise was worth keeping anymore or not, it wasn't something I thought about in the moment.

"Baby, you crying?" His voice was soft, a clear contrast from what I had seen only seconds ago. "Come here," he then said before pulling me towards him and hugging me.
"I'm sorry Harry, I'm so sorry." I mumbled into his chest.

He didn't say anything and I knew that he was struggling inside. He was mad but he loved me and that created conflict inside. I hugged him tighter as I felt him sighing. I knew that this could go either way and I feared that it wouldn't be good, but as I felt his lips on the top of my head I relaxed a little. Hope that we would be able to fix things started to flower.

"Come on," he mumbled into my hair before pulling away and taking my hand.

We walked back inside, Harry's father nowhere to be seen and I was glad I didn't have to face him again after what he just witnessed.
We went into Harry's room and both sat on his bed, holding hands. I stared at the floor as silence fell upon us. Carefully, I caressed the back of his hand with my thumb and felt his hand squeeze me a little harder. I looked up quickly and met his eyes. A small smile played on his lips and I smiled back. My head rested on his shoulder and he detached his hand from mine to put his arm around my shoulder.