Ancient Curse

I walked into the ballroom stopping when I saw Lane's body. I felt tears rush down my face as Van touched my waist trying to take the pain away. There wasn't any possible way to remove my heartache. I could see he had been stabbed in the stomach but had gotten away. He bled to death slowly over a long period of time which means he died in so much agony.

"Sapphire I'm sorry," Van said but I pushed him away.

"You don't get to feel sorry!" I screamed as I felt a burst of magic pulling me into a trance.

"Sapphire," Lane said to me. "I have learned why the ones you love die and it isn't what you think. Grandma gave you her magic but Grandpa gave you his curse. It's a curse so old it has been forgotten."

"What does that mean?" I asked as he approached me.

"You were fated to find love but the curse has kept you from being happy with Van. If you stay with him the curse will kill him eventually," Lane said as fear rushed through me.

"Can it be reversed?" I questioned as Lane grabbed my arm. I gasped as a symbol appeared on my hand winding around my left arm.

"The symbol will lead you to the answer but it won't be easy and it must be done alone," Lane said as the trance began to fade.

I opened my eyes as Van looked at me concerned. I felt a lump forming in my throat knowing what I must do.

"I can't do this," I said pulling my ring off. Van's eyes filled with panic as I put it down walking away quickly. I ran through the city and into the woods. I looked at my left hand feeling a magnetic pull similar to the one I felt with Van. I made my way deep into the woods the light hiding behind the clouds. I found a clearing with a tree stump. I walked to it finding it had marks all over it. I brushed the marks lightly with my fingertips. I felt the magic from the tree react to me as if it knew me...

Flashback
"Grandpa!" I smiled as he scooped me into his arms as we played in the clearing. We came to a tree stump as he set me down. He pulled out a knife carving into a tree.

"Brie do you know what these symbols do?" He asked as I shook my head. "They will prevent anyone from passing this point unless they are family. Do you know why I did this?"

"No," I said as he set me on the tree.

"Because I am giving you a curse others wish to stop but it is the only way to keep you safe," he said pulling me past the tree.
End of Flashback

I looked around walking past the tree in the direction he had taken me. I came to a stream stepping onto a rock to cross it. I gasped as I stepped through a magical barrier. I wandered to a cave the same symbols carved into the entrance. I walked into the cave making my hand glow. I saw symbols leading to a drop down. My breathing quickened as I jumped down. It was dark the only light came from my hand. The cave floor was cold and wet down here. I continued until I saw a book sitting on the stone floor. I sat next to it pulling it open. I felt a smile play at my lips as I recognized it.

Flashback
"Brie are you playing with my spell book again?" My grandfather laughed taking it from my arms.

"It's cool," I smiled as he conjured a toy for me.

"To replace my spell book," he said walking away.
End of Flashback

I flipped through the book when suddenly my mark on my arm started to glow red. I looked at the page.

Lover's Intertwined Curse
Two matches will find each other but at great cost to the family. They will be unable to stay away even as people die around them until one of them is dead. The one cursed will always survive.

I groaned in frustration. There was no mention of a way to reverse the curse. I slammed the book shut when a pebble bounced toward me. Anxiety rushed through me as I stood quickly.

"Brie," the voice called as the book slipped from my hands.

"Grandpa, but you can't be alive still," I breathed as he stepped out of the shadows. He was different than in my memories. He was hard and cold without emotion in his gaze. His eyes used to be blue but were now black.

"Anything is possible," he smiled stalking toward me. I pressed myself against the wall trying to get as far from him as possible. His fingers trailed the back on my jaw as he tipped my head slightly. "You smell delicious."

"What are you?" I gasped when his teeth plunged into my neck. I winced as pain flowed through me. I struggled but found I couldn't move and soon I didn't want to. He pulled away letting me collapse onto the hard stone ground. He reached up wiping away the blood at the corner of his lips.

"I am going to enjoy having some familial blood join me," he smirked his black eyes full of joy.

"You're a vampire," I said weakly too tired to move. He must have taken more blood than I thought.

"Very clever Brie," he said crouching next to me. "Soon you will be too."

"No," I gasped as he touched the two puncture marks on my throat. My throat was covered in drying blood as he stood up.

"Won't be much longer," he said harshly. "It will be nice to have someone to obey me."

"I don't want this life," I said stronger this time but I knew that was the vampire growing stronger inside my body as my humanity started to fade. I didn't want this life...