A Dead Man

I glared at Greg as he looked at me.

"Leave now," I yelled as he laughed.

"No this isn't your palace, you can't just make me leave," he snapped as the woman stepped toward him.

"Leave or we will make you," she said harshly leaving no room for debate. My heart was broken but somehow Greg had made my pain worse. Greg glared at me as tears spilled down my cheeks before he finally walked away.

"Mom," Katherine said walking toward me. She wrapped her arms around me trying to comfort me. I looked at her sadly before walking off to find Josh. I sat next to him as he continued to play.

"Van I wish you were here. We were supposed to have forever together with kids and joy. Until I met you I didn't realize I wasn't happy," I whispered as Katherine and Josh laughed.

"Brie," the woman said from the doorway. I got to my feet walking toward her.

"Yep," I said as she handed me an old book.

"I think this might help," she said before rushing away. I opened the book my heart stopping. There might be a way to save Van and all I have to do is reverse the spell that caused the curse. My lips parted slightly when I saw what must be done. This was going to be long and hard but no matter what I vowed to figure out a way to bring him back.

"We will be together Van," I promised as I stepped out of the room to find the woman.

"So did the book help?" She asked as I nodded.

"Can you watch the kids while I go on this journey?" I asked as she smiled.

"Alright," she said as I gave one last glance at the children before teleporting away. I had to go to sacred ground and cast a spell. The spell would then kill me long enough to find Van and bring him back with me.

"Van can you hear me?" I asked as he had gone quiet. I no longer felt him near me. I walked for miles up a steep mountain knowing there was a spot where not even the strongest witch could teleport to. I felt a blast of magic as I reached the top finding an alter. My breathing quickened as I stood at the alter. I opened the book laying it on the ground at my feet. "To find what was lost I give my life willingly and to return I give my magic without hesitation." I said firmly. I gasped clutching my chest falling back onto the ground.

I found myself standing over my body a thin cord connecting me to my body. I turned looking around me but didn't find Van anywhere. I pictured the coven hoping he was with the children. Ghost travel worked by thought, think and poof you are there. I walked to the kids but frustratingly he wasn't here. I pictured the clearing where Brooke's body was but again nothing. Where was he and what had made him leave me? I thought of the palace knowing that was the final place he might have gone to. I reached the palace walking inside. I found a dark cloud floating before Van's body as if blocking me.

"Van," I called out as the cloud tried to grab me. I felt my power knock the cloud away. I ran toward Van's ghost lying just below his body. I was panicking as ghosts aren't supposed to be able to be harmed yet he was unconscious on the ground. The shadow had done it to him. I shook him until his eyes flew open.

"Sapph," he gasped as I helped him to his feet.

"Van let's go," I said when I felt a sharp yank. My body was starting to wake. I pushed Van back into his body quickly watching as his ghost settled into his body. I felt a smile spread across my lips as he took a breath, it had worked...

My eyes flew open as I coughed. I sat up before walking down the hill to a nearby portal. I walked through running into the palace. I walked straight to the throne room to find Van standing up. My heart stopped as the crumbling palace melted away until it was just Van standing there. His eyes locked onto mine as my jaw dropped. I still couldn't believe it had worked. I walked slowly toward him as he walked slowly toward me. We stopped inches apart as he reached up his hand around the back of my neck. Our lips were so close I could feel his fresh breath kissing my skin. My breathing became shallow as my chest tightened. His eyes studied me watching for a sign. I wanted him to press his lips to mine so I could melt into him but I wanted to give him time to process everything that had happened.

"Sapphire, I love you so much. You were all I could think about in death and you were the only thing making the afterlife bearable. I promise to honor you always. You are my other half and nothing could make me happier that to give you everything," Van said firmly. "You gave up your magic to bring me back with you!"

"I would do it again. I couldn't let you go," I said softly as his lips crashed against mine sending a fire racing through me. My breath hitched in my chest as his arms wrapped around my waist pulling me tightly against his body. He was everything I wanted and all I could ever need. I winced in pain as a dark energy hit me. I fell limp as he supported my weight.

"Sapphire!" He gasped when my eyes locked onto Eric's. He knew I was weak and that I couldn't protect Van. Van laid me gently on the ground before knocking Eric across the room.

"Hand her over," Eric growled as Van stood in front of me as I tried to sit up gasping in pain. This wasn't going to end well and I hoped Van was strong enough to beat Eric...