Thirty Seven - No Regrets

Chapter Thirty Seven - No Regrets

"What are you sorry for, Alpha?" I asked standing near the foot of the bed.

Alpha Wayne broke his gaze from me and stared at the ceiling. I was curious to what he had to say. He was dying. His heartbeat was fading away slowly. But I wanted him to tell me everything before he took his last breath.

"The greed for power is dangerous." He spoke. "That's what my grandmother used to say. And that's what my father refused to listen." His vague words only spiked my interest.

Luna was still holding his hand and squeezing it lightly. Her presence was enough indication that she knew everything Alpha was going to tell me.

"My father always talked about the immense power the Royal bloods contain. They are blessed with a power no one can conquer. They were the protectors of the earth - to maintain the balance between natural and supernatural.

"My father was obsessed with the idea of so much power that he didn't care about anything. He neglected my mother and me to search that power. But he was not successful. Out of billions of people in this world, it was impossible to find out who was the one with royal blood.

"One day he came across the Royal blood. She was a girl named Gabriella." My lips parted at the mention of my biological mother's name. "He was planning to make her his mate against her wishes but my mother interfered. My mother was killed by that man in front of my eyes."

His mate squeezed his hand as his eyes clouded with tears.

"All I ever wanted was a family but my father's greed for power destroyed that all. Everything crumbled in front of my eyes as Gabriella killed my father. He was always strong and to see him being killed by a girl of my age was shocking. The family I had wished for was destroyed. I remember that day clearly. My father was dead and my mother was dead. Only Gabriella and I were in that room, sitting at the corner.

"I allowed Gabriella stay with us after that. I made her my friend after that. You see... my father never shared his plans of royal blood with anyone in his pack. Not even the beta. So when beta took over the pack after my father was killed, he didn't dispose off Gabriella. The incident was dismissed as a name of rogue attack as no one could believe a ten year old girl like Gabriella could do something like that. She was made a part of the pack.

"After that I committed the biggest mistake of my life. I discovered my father's secret research and decided to carry on his plan, as a tribute to both my parents' deaths. It was around the same time I came across Blood Devil. He took away my research but I had already completed my plan by then." He then shifted his eyes to me.

"I asked a witch to cast a spell on you and Daniel- to make you two believe that you two were mates. You both were very young then. I did that to make my son powerful. But he refused to accept you as his mate. He was never happy after that. And I realized that I had committed a big mistake. I always wished for a happy family and destroyed my own family once again. I was no different than my father. I am such a bastard."

I listened to him silently as he spoke. It all made sense to me then. That must be the reason why I never felt any connection with Daniel. He must be as confused as me in this whole ordeal.

"I'm really sorry Sera. What I did to your mother was unforgivable. What I did to your father was unforgivable. I had planned everything so that they would stick together. I had created the situations so that they would end up conceiving you. It was all my fault."

I sighed letting the information sink in. I feel like a test subject. So much has happened in past few months that everything sounds believable now.

"I'm not going to think about it." I told him. "I'm just tired of all these stories. Maintain the balance? I don't understand all that crap. I don't even know what power you talk about. Blood Devil told me some different stuff." If he was going to say something in the last few moments of his life, better tell me about something helpful.

"Blood Devil is destructive. His mind focussed on the negative use of the power." I couldn't agree more. "And that power... it is in you. That power is inside you. You just need to believe in your mate." he smiled at me. Wrinkles appeared on his skin.

I stayed quiet. I wanted to curse that mate of mine. But I decided not to. The last thing a dying old man needs to see is a frustrated girl swearing.

"Will you ever forgive me, Sera?" His voice was weak.

I blinked a couple of times. "I forgive you Alpha."

"Now I can die in peace." He seemed content.

Peaceful death comes to those who repent for their mistakes while still being alive. I guess, he deserves it.

"You should see your son and his true mate before that. Teach him the life lessons you ignored. That must be helpful for him." He chuckled and I walked out of the room. I didn't talk to Luna. There was no need to.

"Daniel, your father wants to see you." I told him once I exited the room. He was leaning against the wall will his mate comforting him. "You too Lana. Also, if you feel guilty about me or anything Daniel, I forgive you."

He frowned at me. "I don't feel guilty or anything. I remember clearly that you tried to cause me as much pain as I caused you."

"Go to hell," I muttered under my breath. I'm so happy he is not my mate. It's up to Lana now.

I looked at her. She was scouting a blank look on her face. "Take care of him." I smiled at her. "Only you are capable of doing that."

"Sera, I'm not comfortable with you talking to my mate about that stuff." Daniel injected and I grimaced.

"Just shut up and go see your father. And I forgive you. Remember those words in case you realize your mistake."

Lana chuckled and then smiled at me. She pulled Daniel inside the room where his father was resting.

As they entered the room, I decided to leave the place. I don't want to be an intruder in their family.

When I was a part of this pack, I would have craved this too - a family. But now... I don't even know what I want. I wonder if I was born to die alone because if I die at this instant, I'd have no regrets.

I closed my eyes while facing the sky with a smile on my lips.

Vladimir's face flashed in front of my eyes. I almost jumped back in start.

No regrets? There won't be 'no regrets' unless I talk to that man. Just one talk is all I need.

Then I remembered. I came to this pack for two purposes - to kidnap Alpha Wayne and to eliminate Daniel.

I can't kidnap a dying man. And Daniel... I don't want to kill him. He has finally found his happiness. I don't want to kill him and make Lana unhappy. At one point, I wanted to kill him but now, I don't want to do anything with him. Love or hate, I have nothing for him now.

So why even waste time.

I'm not going to kidnap Harry Wayne Osborn.

I'm not going to eliminate Daniel.

What will Blood Devil do?

*** ***

Third Person's P.O.V.

"I sent to keep your eyes on Sera, didn't I?" Blood Devil spoke in a threatening voice.

"S-sir I-I-I-" the man stuttered.

Where the hell did she run off to?

** **
A/N:

I'm hell bent on finishing this book soon even if it means I have to type on my phone.

Please vote, comment and share.

-nerdinspects

PS: A choice with 'no regrets'. 😉