Prologue.

"Mama, Mama!" I heard the pitta patter of tiny feet then was suddenly shaken awake. Legolas stood at my side of the bed, his plaits were coming lose and a worried expression was on his little face that would make any mother want to cry. I pushed back the covers, ever so slightly, trying not to wake to Thranduil, and I came down to his level. By lifting his chin, I peered into his icy blue eyes. Those same eyes that were exactly symmetrical to my beloved husband. I smiled at the thought.

"What's wrong, my little leaf?" I asked in a soothing voice.

"I had a-a nightmare!' I heard him mumble. I embraced his small figure. His small arms tighten around my neck as I lifted him in my arms and carried him back to his room.

"Now Legolas, what was this scary nightmare about, eh?" I asked, raising an eyebrow. Legolas pulled his blanket up to his eyes and searched the room for anything moving.

"Orcs biting my toes," he whispered.

I smiled. "Well you know what, if you practice your archery then you could prevent those nasty orcs from biting your little toes. But they do look quite appetising," I said and grabbed his toes which made him squeal. On second thought, I shouldn't have done that. Now he'll never be able to fall asleep.

When he finally stopped giggling, he glanced his baby blue eyes up towards me. "Mommy, can you tell me a story?" he asked, whispering.

I sighed while playing with a strain of his light blonde hair, twirling it around my finger. "Would you like to hear a story about a young girl cursed with wings?" I asked.

"An angel?" he lifted his face up towards the sky, scrunching up his face.

"No, something smaller-"

He interrupted raising his voice in excitement. "Oh," he squealed. "A fairy!" I laughed as he gave me a confused look.

"No sweetheart, she was not an angel, nor fairy, but took the form of a wise night hunter. An owl with the purest white of feathers, and this is her story..."