BONUS CHAPTER #2

BONUS CHAPTER #2

ALPHA ULYSSES' POV

(Edited- 22/05/2017)

"Do you know what love is?"

This is the question that Dad had asked me when I was eight years old. The question was out of blue, I tell you.

I was helping Dad fold the mats after we were done training and while I had placed the last mat on the pile, Dad had dropped the question on me.

I had looked at my Dad with wide eyes, wondering how I was supposed to answer that.

Was this some kind of test?

"Dad..."

"This is important, Ulysses. You need to answer me" He sat down on the ground folding his legs in Indian style and patted beside him.

I sat down.

"I..."

"Okay, son. Let me start by telling you what love means for me, yes?" He was looking at me right in the eyes.

I nodded my head.

"For me, love is coming home after a long day at the office and being so tired... but after just one glimpse of your Mom and feeling not so tired anymore. When she is angry at me for being late and working myself to an early grave..." He has a wistful smile on his face and my face warms up.

It's no secret to me that my Ma and Dad love each other, but still... hearing him talk about it is different.

"I know she is strong, and can hold her own, but I just can't help but worry about her all the time... even when I am here, with you, I feel like half of me is back at the house, you know?" Dad rubs his chest and I sigh.

"The moon, it makes us all a half. And then we find our mates. Our other halves. And together, the two of us, we make a full" He says wistfully.

My heart clenches on hearing that.

"Dad?" I call out softly. I adore his definition of love, but I think I can define love way better than him.

"Yes Ulysses?"

"When I held her for the first time-" I start, closing my eyes and immediately her eyes pop in front of me.

"She was so small... and so... fragile... and all I could do was stare at her. She was sleeping when I held her, you know? And Hayden was sitting beside me, rolling her hair in his finger and I was so angry on him! I felt like I could kill him because she would let out soft noises everytime he'd tug too hard..." I remember how difficult it was for me to control myself.
I had eventually asked Gamma Harry to take Hades away.

"I had felt so relieved when she was in my hands and I could hear the soft rythm of her heart beat" as cliché as it sounds, they were like music to my ears.

"You had given me 15 minutes with her, and when 10 minutes were over, the calmness that I had felt while holding her started to fade... and it was replaced by panic! I just couldn't imagine that I had to return her in 5 minutes!" I suck in a breath.

"But then she woke up... and she looked at me with those big amber eyes of her... and it felt like I couldn't breathe!" I remember my hold tightening on her ever so softly.

"She was just looking at me with those innocent eyes and all I could do was worry. But then she smiled. Or maybe it was just my hallucination... because I don't reckon babies can smile... but whatever it was... in that moment, all my worries, they just slipped away. Poof." I chuckle when I sneak a glance in Dad's direction.