Chapter Four

Brantley's POV

I woke up the next morning and winced as I stretched my legs. Damn, I wasn't even standing up and they felt like Jell-O. I reached over for Stephanie and my eyes shot open as I touched cold sheets. Dammit, I was sure she would have stayed this time. She had to have been as worn out as I am. But no, I could tell the side where she had been had hardly been slept on. I sighed and banged my head on my pillow.

I don't know why it bothered me so bad but she never stayed over, at least in my bed, more than a night here and there. I flipped over on my back and tossed an arm over my eyes. Couldn't for the life of me figure out why it bothered me so much. Wasn't the first time this had happened and possibly wouldn't be the last time.

Hell, I was getting old I guess. I was thirty-two now and it was time either keep with the motto I'd had since Amber and I had split up again, and be single for life or suck it up and settle down.

I'd figure it out. Just not today. I cracked an eye open to look at the clock on my nightstand at the same time I heard feet pounding up the stairs right before my door banged open.

"What the fuck happened in here?" I heard Kolby ask before I sat up and looked at him.

I pulled the sheet tighter to my waist. His eyes were huge as he looked at the bed. He whistled lowly before stuffing his hands in his hoodie pocket.

" Never mind. I just answered myself between the state of your bed, the teeth marks on your shoulder, and the clothes scattered in the living room. The bright pink UGA t-shirt, I know is Steph's because I bought it for her, hanging off the tv was another clue."

I growled at Kolby before flipping him off. I glared at him as I pulled the sheet with me getting up and wrapping  it around my waist as I hobbled toward the bathroom to get a shower. I heard my brother crack up laughing.

"Apparently kitty has got claws bro!"

"Fuck off Kolby!" I yelled as I dropped the sheet and hopped in the shower. I winced a little when the hot water hit my back.

Then I had a flashback from last night as I'd had Stephanie pinned against the tile wall behind me as she dug her nails in my back and smiled. I finished up and stepped out drying off with the towel before wrapping it around my waist. I stood at the sink and trimmed up my beard a little before brushing my teeth.

I smirked a little when I looked in the mirror and saw the teeth marks between the R of my chest piece and my collar bone. Damn woman, thought shaking my head. I don't think anyone realized that sweet little school teacher could be a hellcat in bed when she wanted to be.

I walked out to my closest and pulled on a pair of jeans, and a long sleeved Wounded Warrior Project t-shirt. I sat on the edge of the bed and pulled on my socks and boots before heading downstairs to straighten up the mess before going out to help Kolby move firewood out of the shed. I'd have to go back upstairs before everyone else got here and deal with the train wreck that was my bed.

Stephanie's POV

I pulled up the gravel driveway and parked in the spot left open for me in between Kolby and Brantley's trucks by the garage. I was trying to wrap up the phone call I was on so I could get the brownies that I had promised Kolby I would make inside.

"So, we'll be back next week sweetie. So, don't forget to go by and put the mail in when you water the plants," my mom droned on in my ear. She and my dad been on a vacation to Europe for the last few weeks.

"I did earlier Mom on my way out of town," I replied as I drummed my fingers on my steering wheel. I heard a couple more vehicles pull up as I was waiting.