Flashback: Ring Shopping: Part I

Late June 2016

Brantley's  POV

I was sitting on my bus idly playing chords on my guitar and lost in my thoughts. I had gone home for a week after the CMT Awards then back to Nashville to put in some time in the studio. Steph had gone to beach with Ashley, Eli, and the kids so she'd passed on coming up to New York with us for the music festival here.

After that night in Nashville, I knew things had changed. I knew I loved her. I had never had any doubt in that even when it had changed to loving her as more than my best friend all those years ago. I almost had the courage to do something about it for a change. I noticed her watching me out of the corner of her eye when I was home.

We were still Steph and B, but something was different. Wish I could put my finger on it. I stilled my hands when I realized I had been playing "Play Me That Song". That had been the first song I had ever written about her. Damn woman just didn't know how many were about her. She had no clue. She never noticed that I realized that she always found somewhere else to go anytime that song came up. She, like pretty much everyone else, believed they were all about Amber. There were a few sure, but three fourths of them were about Stephanie.

I chuckled to myself and thought about the one I had cut to put on the new album the other day. She was going to kill me when she heard it. It was so blatantly obvious it was about us I was pretty sure I would be dodging flying objects.

Brian Davis had known me long enough I think he had his suspicions on who the song was about but he just laughed and didn't say a word. I needed to remind myself to put a little distance between me and Steph when I gave her the advance copy of the album she always got. "Smokin Gun" would get me an ass kicking but damn if it hadn't turned out to be a good song. I had a couple other songs in the book I was considering just wasn't sure yet.

I sighed staring at the wall across from me. Hell, even Sylo hadn't wanted to come with me on this run. I had tapped my leg for him to follow me to the bus when we rolled out the other day and hed stayed put sitting at Stephanie's feet giving me a look.

Like nope Dad, I'm staying here. You have fun. Justin had flown home to see Kate and the girls for a day or two then meeting back up with us. So, I was curled up on the bus since we had gotten here a day early, lost in my thoughts. Not a place I usually liked to be. I didn't hear the bus door open a few moments later.

"Boss," I heard PJ call out making me jump. I shook my head and sat the guitar down.

"Hey man," I said standing up to stretch my arms above my head.

"The boys went to play mini golf," he said crossing his arms and giving me a look. "Jesse said you didn't wanna go. You alright?"

"Yea bud," I nodded my head and dug my cigarettes out of my pocket and walked to the door. I lit one as I walked and took a drag before leaning against the bus and looking at PJ. "Just a lot of my mind. Kicking around some song ideas for the new record."
I cut my eyes over at him to see him giving me a knowing look.

"Sure Boss," he grumbled rolling his eyes. "None of this wouldn't have anything to do with a certain bossy, blonde would it? You've been like this since Nashville earlier this month."

"PJ, what's Steph got to do with this?" I growled taking another drag. He pulled his glasses down and looked at me.

"I've known you how long BG," he said smirking. "It has everything to do with her. When are you going to man up and spill your guts?"

"Huh," I said shaking my head. "I don't know what you are talking about."

"Bullshit Boss," he said laughing. "I see all you know that. It's my job. You are head over heels in love with Little Bit but just too chicken shit to do anything about it."

"You know what, "I grumbled dropping my cigarette down on the ground and putting it out with my Nike. "That's it. Let's go. I'll show you chicken shit."

I pulled my truck keys out and made my way over to it as PJ followed and climbed in the passenger seat. We were in a midsize town in upstate New York so I got him to Google where the closest jewelry store was. He looked at me like I had finally  lost my mind.