Flashback: Just As I Am

PJ's POV

I leaned against the wall listening to BG and Dan discussing the details of what needed to be done tomorrow on the platinum part of the new album. My ears perked up at the song mentioned and saw BG study the paper in front of him as Dan gave him a concerned look. I knew he gave his all when it came to putting an album together. From the songs written, the music put to them, and how they were sung.

Man was not playing around when he told people each album was a chapter of his life. Well this one was a pretty big chapter. There had been a lot of changes in his life since the last album. I hadn't seen him this antsy about laying down a track since "You Dont Know Her Like I Do".

Boy thought he was pulling one over on everyone if they thought it was about Amber like he played it off. I knew the first time I heard it that it had Stephanie written all over it. I quietly slipped out into the hall pulling my phone out of my pocket and walking towards the outside door. I dialed an all too familiar number and waited on the phone to be picked up.

"PJ," Stephanie said with a laugh. "What kind of trouble has the rockstar gotten into in Nashville? Bad if you are calling me I am sure."

"Nah," I said with a chuckle. "We are all being angels."

"Yea," Stephanie said with a snort. "Angels my ass. Everything ok?"

"Yes and no," I sighed. Man, Boss would kill me but oh well. "Lil Bit, I need you to pack a bag and get in the road in the morning. He needs you."

"PJ," she growled. Oh boy. A mini pissed off BG, here we go. "Explain now."

"Nothing has happened, and nothing has been said, "I explained quickly. "Look Lil Bit, its just a gut feeling I have ok. Please."

"Ok," she said quietly. "What time does he have to be in the studio tomorrow? And text me the address."

"He's got to be back in here at noon," I said letting out a quiet sigh of relief. "And Steph, when you talk to him later, don't let him know I called."

"Gotcha," she said. "I'll let you know when I get on the road in the morning."

"Thank you, Lil Bit," I said as I heard the door open behind me and BG came walking out lighting a cigarette. "Be careful."

I hung up the phone as he walked even with me. He gave me a funny look then yawned wide.

"Who were you talking to?" he asked stretching then taking another drag.

"My mama," I said shrugging my shoulders. "Waffle House?"

"Hell yea," Brantley said with a wide grin pulling his truck keys out. "Let's go."

Stephanie's POV

I pulled into the studio lot and parked next to Brantley's truck. I had gotten on the road this morning but had gotten hung up in traffic when I had crossed the Tennessee state line or I would have been here earlier. PJ had already called me once worried and I'd had to calm him down.

Ben had text me that B was being a bigger bear than usual. Dan had confiscated his cigarettes because of whatever they were recording today. I had told Ben they better duck and cover what could I do all the way in Georgia. PJ had asked me to keep my coming up quiet.

My principal wasn't exactly thrilled with me having to find a sub at last minute but I had swung by on my way out of town to drop off lesson plans and since it was Friday I would at least get the weekend in Nashville.

I didn't know what was going on but if PJ felt I needed to be here then there was a good reason. I pushed my glasses up on my head holding my hair back and walked in the door. I stopped to give my name to the receptionist and jumped when I heard my name called.