Flashback: Ring Shopping: Part II

Brantley's POV

About twenty minutes later I pulled my truck up to the jewelry store PJ had found with a determined look on my face. I put the truck in park and PJ looked over at me with his arms crossed.

"Ok Boss,"he said staring me down. "What are you up?"

"Showing you, I am not a fucking chicken shit," I growled before tossing my hat down on the console and climbing out of the truck with PJ hot on my heels. I left my hat off hoping no one recognized me. Last thing I needed trending on Twitter was I was ring shopping and supposed to be single.

I walked in and nodded at the sales girl who smiled at us and walked over to look at the ring selection. My heart felt like it was going to beat out of my chest. Did I really want to do this? I knew I loved Steph, but damn I'd already been burned pretty bad before with Jana and Amber. I felt my hands growing clammy. PJ stepped even with me and crossed his arms over his chest.

"Feeling alright over there Boss?" he asked cutting his eyes at me. "Looking a little pale."

"Don't start PJ," I growled narrowing my eyes at the display. An older man walked over to greet us.

"How may I help you sir?" he asked kindly. I had to be a little bit of a smart ass in my mind and wonder if he took in my tattoos and earrings and wondered if I was casing the joint. But he shook my hand and gave me a big smile.

I huffed out a big breath and looked at the man. "I'm looking for a ring," I got out as my throat squeezed tight.
Fuck! It hadn't been this hard when I went to get Jana's ring. Maybe I shouldn't be doing this. Oh, yea wait, hers was easy because she had already picked it out and not shut up about it.

"What type of ring are you looking for Mr. Gilbert?" he asked. I gave him a surprised look as he smiled and gave me a wink. "My granddaughter, recognized you when you walked in. You have my assurances she will not say anything."

I scratched my beard and nodded taking a deep breath shuffling my feet. PJ had to walk off because he thought my being uncomfortable was hilarious.

"An engagement ring," I said quietly, shoving my hands into the pockets of my black Nike shorts.

"Ah I see," the man said tapping his chin thoughtfully. "Any certain cut you have a preference for?"

"Ummm...." I said thinking quickly. "Nothing too raised. She's a teacher and I figure something like that would catch on stuff."

"You are precisely right sir," the man said nodding his head. "Tell me a little about her so I can get some ideas."

"She's smart, funny, has the prettiest pair of blue eyes I have ever seen," I muttered. He motioned for me to go on. "She's been my best friend for over twenty years sir. She's the light of my life even on my darkest days. To be honest, I'd be lost without her."

"Damn right you would", PJ called out with a grin making me glare at him and the man helping me laugh.

"Is she an active person?" he asked.

"Yep Little Bit is," PJ said with a laugh walking back over. "She keeps our rowdy bunch in line."

The salesman nodded with a grin and pointed at a ring he had laid out on the velvet cloth to display. I shook my head no. He pointed to the one he sat next to it and I grimaced. Way too damn gaudy for Stephanie. She would have pointed out it was more along Jana's tastes.

He reached in the case after about the fifth one I shook my head no on and pulled out another one and laid it on the velvet. My eyes widened a little as I looked at it and held my hand out for it. I held it between my fingers and studied it.