First Dates: Part I

Stephanie's POV

January 2016

I was leaned into the mirror putting on the last of my make up when I noticed a figure leaned against the doorway making me jump. I pulled my hand back in time to keep from poking my eye with my eyeliner. I glared in the mirror at the figure.

"Dammit B! I almost poked my eye out," I snapped at him making the grin on his face widen even farther. "How did you get in?"

"Ummm..... key," he said as he walked over to place a kiss on my forehead. He tugged the tie of my black satin robe and arched an eyebrow at me. "Good, you're almost dressed. Means Kolby and I won't have to wait long for you."

"For what?" I asked resuming my task of finishing lining my blue eyes. He walked back into my room and sprawled out on my bed like he owned the place. He laid back on the purple comforter and pulled his black hat down low over his eyes. He had on a white thermal shirt with his black jeans and boots. I noticed the cross necklace I had gotten him around his neck. I finished my eye makeup and turned around to look at him with my hands on my hips. I walked to the edge of the bed and kicked his boot lightly with my foot to get his attention. "I repeat B, ready for what?"

He pushed his hat up to look at me before grabbing my waist and tugging me down on his chest. I rolled my eyes at him pushed my hands on his chest to lift up and look at him.

"I thought Kolby text you that we were gonna go into Atlanta tonight to find something to do before I leave next week for the Blackout Tour," he said twirling a strand of my hair around his finger. I shook my head at him.

"Yea he did but I told him it had to be tomorrow night because I couldn't go tonight," I said looking down at him. He shifted his legs and sat up pulling me into his lap.

"Why the hell can't you go tonight?" he said giving me a puzzled look. I got real interested in playing with his necklace instead of answering. "Steph....."

"I have a date tonight," I said quietly. He lifted my chin and looked at me with an unreadable look on his face. I hadn't dated too much since David and I had called it quits. Just one or two here and there. And if they got past the second date a lot times they had a run in with someone.

I had gone on a first date with a lawyer few months ago and had looked up from my menu to see the poor guy stammering out his order and glancing towards the table behind us. I had turned my head to see P.J. sitting there with a scowl and crossed arms. He had hidden his head when I caught him.

I knew for a fact that he was supposed to be in Nebraska with a certain jackass who would be getting a piece of my mind. I had excused myself from the table to march toward P.J. I had pulled the big man out of the restaurant literally by his ear cussing under my breath the whole way. I read him the riot act and threatened to shoot B as soon as my date was over.

I walked back inside to find that the lawyer had bailed. I sighed then grabbed my purse and phone to march outside. P.J. pulled up to the door and hopped out to let me in the SUV with a smile. Mike wasn't happy when I called B's phone threatening to shoot him but he relented on me talking to him after I promised to kick him in the dick next time I was out on the road.

The date a month before that had thought he would get brownie points by scoring pit tickets to see Luke Bryan after he found out I was also a country music fan. I called Caroline for passes and the guy was really excited. I should have known that right there was a bad idea.

We were hanging out backstage after the show in Atlanta. Luke, Thomas and Carter had all glared at the guy. He wasn't short but at 5'10 the three of them were bigger than him. They had offered to take him shooting sometime soon with them. They really wanted to show off their gun collection to him.

I had literally dropped my face in my hands and groaned. Then Rhett sat down and joined in trying to play the role of protective dad. I wonder who put his ass up to that one. Icing on the cake was when Caroline had come strolling up smacking a ruler on her hand. Said that she may need to take measurements to make sure he was up to par to what I was used to.

I had jumped up then pulling my date along with me. I had hugged my friends and ushered him away from the buses. I flipped all of the off behind the guys back. When we climbed back in his Prius, he had smiled over at me and shook his head. He mentioned that he wondered if he would have been better off holding out for Brantley Gilbert tickets. I assured him that no, that would have been way worse for him.

Brantley looked down into my eyes for a minute before his shoulders dropped a little.

"Oh," he said quietly nodding his head. I grabbed the end of his beard gently making him look at me. I gave him a soft smile.

"But I promise tomorrow I'll go do whatever it is y'all wanted to do. I know that between the tour and you getting in the studio it's going to be a busy year," I said standing up and making my way to my closet.

"Guess I can't get you to cancel huh," he called out. I walked over to the doorway and looked at him.

"No. And don't even think about scaring this one off please. He's at least a football coach," I said shaking my finger at Brantley. He held his hands up in surrender. I jumped when I heard the front door slam.

"Short Stuff! Where you at? "Kolby called stomping through my house.

"Back here,"I called as I heard his footsteps get closer. He leaned against the door of my closet and smiled at me.

"So what kind of trouble we are getting into tonight?" he asked giving me a goofy grin as I flipped through my clothes.

"She.....has a date," Brantley drawled out from his seat on the bed. Kolby's jaw dropped then he gave me a look. I stopped him with a finger and he closed his mouth. He got really interested in the adjusting of his hat.

"I told you Giant. You just didn't listen, I growled." I grabbed his arm and pushed him out of my closet.

I slammed the door and slid on a pair of jeans. I added a pair of knee high leather boots. I grabbed the brown leather belt with the pistol belt buckle Brantley had bought me and pulled out a deep purple one shoulder shirt that had one long sleeve and hugged my curves. I pulled my brown leather jacket off the hanger and walked to the door pulling it open. I pushed past Kolby to walk over to my dresser to decide on my jewelry. Brantley glanced up from his phone and glared at me as I slipped on a pair of silver hooped earrings.

"The hell you are wearing that Stephanie Lynn," he growled. Kolby walked out of my room snickering. I rolled my eyes and slid on a set of bangle bracelets then a cross necklace that was a smaller version of his.

"Not a damn word B," I snapped. "I mean it. You won't interfere and you will be nice."
He put his hands on his hips and glared at me. I heard the doorbell ring and broke my stare and groaned as I heard Kolby yell out.

"I'll get it!!"

Brantley grinned at me as my eyes got large and he moved towards the door.

"Brantley Keith!! Don't you dare!" I yelled chasing after him. "I will shoot both of your asses!"